SASS Wire Forum

Most spent cases still showing crimp

Whiskey James SASS 85199

Howdy all,

I've been noticing that the majority of my spent cases still have a slight crimp. This is with both .357 and .45lc. Both are loaded with Trail boss at the minimun IMR recomendations.

Just wondering is this is ok or am I doing something wrong.

thanks,

Whiskey James

Is the minimum load not enough 'bang' to fire-form the brass and make it straight?

Does this cause extra lead fouling because the bullet sides are 'scraped' by the crimp?

Is there too much crimp?

I have no answers for you, only more questons.

We'll see what the experts say.

My experience with Trail Boss is that the bottle neck cartridges are OK at the minimum. Whereas the straight wall need to be bumped up to around the middle for complete ignition, pressures and such...

One of the many reasons that I switched to Promo...

Mine are like that, most likely from a tight crimp, which I like to ensure the boolit won't collapse into the case. I shoot 3.2 gr of clays, just over 900fps so it's not like the lite load theory holds much weight. I think it does shorten case life tho...

Cheyenne

Howdy James - I wouldn't fret about it. A good tight crimp is better than too loose. Resizing & belling will take care of it. I wouldn't worry about shortening the case life too much either - you're more likely to lose the brass in the weeds than to split it.

Archived