SASS Wire Forum

BMC -

Buying that rifle will save your marriage. If you buy it, you will go out and practice with Willie, and go to rimfire matches, and get your butt out of the house more often.

Buying the rifle will be good for your health. It will get you out in the fresh air.

It will also help out the economy, each of us has to do our part.

It will give you a new toy to tinker with and play with. I mean look at how much you've already enjoyed just looking around for it?

Well, Grizz, there is a flaw in your argument. If I buy that rifle, I will be toast and my marriage will be toast also. I do not look good with an axe sticking in my noggin. It is just not a good look for me.

My reasoning is this. I like the looks and the feel of the rifle, but there are so many models to chose from.

It compounds the fact that I have a scope, for which I want to find a home . It is sitting in a box right now and I do not have a rifle to put it on. I sent it back to Leupold two years ago to have a new reticule put in because I didn't like the narrow crosshairs. They put in a nice duplex for me. In the meanwhile, I put in a

aperture sight on the rifle that is was mounted on. So, I need a rifle. Yeah, like I need a hole in my head.

But, and there is always a but, then if I bought the rifle, I would get the hole in my head. :huh:

I bought a lever .22 to shoot side matches but then I could never find a side .22 match. Then Willie and me decided to take up rimfire silhouette shooting, but all the matches I found are .22lr and that is pretty much a

bolt action game with a scope. Ah Hah, sez I, a home for the scope. Find the rifle. Well, Willie is talking Savage. I find a nice one with laminated stock. It has all the bells and whistle. Then I start reading. It has some issues that I didn't want to deal with. Look further and find the CZ USA. Looks good. It too has some issues so I am comparing the two now. In the mean time I have this flame for the .17 HMR and the flat shooting ballistics. Much flatter and hotter than the .22lr, which I already have, by the bye.

So, I will continue to look. Perhaps I will find a deal that I can't pass on. I sure ain't losing anything by looking. I do have to add that you guys are a real inspiration. Between you, OKB and Willie, my fever is

reaching critical mass. Thanks. :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one a them Ruger 10-22's that one a these days I wanna put a bull barrel and pistol grip stock. A mini sniper thingy! But cheap to shoot.

Now that is my point, Tanner. Ya buy one of then thingys and it ain't no end of add ons. All the way to Church this morning I was thinking about how to pillar bed one of them CZ's. Not the cost of the bedding pillars, but the other stuff that goes with it, time required, etc, etc.

Seems like a feller can't leave em alone, just got to tinker, tinker, tinker.

...was just surfing through accuracy data and found this:

the definitive source for .22 accuracy was the test that Jim Carmichel conducted back in 1994. He used over 9,000 rounds of ammo and shot for 4 straight weeks at 8 hours per day. He used 12 different rifles with 21 different brands of ammo. The range was 50 yards and he shot 5 shot groups from a bench rest. The results were published in chart form in the February issue of Outdoor Life and I summerize as follows according to ranking:

#1 Anschutz M-54 with Fiocchi Pistol 315

#2 Remington 40-X with Eley Blue Pistol

#3 Anschutz BR-50 with Russian Olimp-R

#4 Anschutz M-1700 with Fiocchi Rifle 330

#5 Kimber Sporter with Russian Olimp-R

#6 Remington 541-T with Russian Olimp-R

#7 Ultra Lite Arms with Russian Olimp-R

#8 Ruger 10/22 with Fiocchi Pistol 315

#9 Dakota M-22LR Sporter with Russian Olimp-R

#10 Ruger 77/22 All Weather with Fiocchi Rifle 320

#11 Cooper M-36 Med-heavy barrel with Federal Gold Metal Ultra

#12 Marlin M-2000 with Fiocchi Pistol 300

He ranked the ammo across all the rifles as follows:

#1 Fiocchi Rifle 320

#2 Russian Olimp-R

#2 Fiocchi Pistol 315

#4 Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match

#5 Fiocchi Pistol 300

#6 Fiocchi Rifle 330

#7 Fiocchi Pistol 310

#8 Federal Gold Medal Match

#9 Eley Blue Pistol

#10 Eley Tenex Red

#11 Fiocchi Rifle 340 Silhouette

#12 Fiocchi Rifle Rifle 340 Biathlon

#13 RWS R-50 Tourament

#14 Winchester Super-X HV

#15 CCI New Lot Green Tag

#16 Federal Gold Medal Match

#17 Winchester T-22

#18 Winchester Super Silhouette

#19 RWS Silver Match

#20 CCI Old Lot Green Tag

#21 Remington Target

He did find that accuracy improved 15% when he matched rim thicknesses.

Just thought I'd add some fuel to your fire BMC... <_<

...of course this is dated info and there is probably some new, better, testing more rifles data out there...

It are a CZ 452 Varmint in .22 with scope rings. I will mount my Leupold 3 x 9 40mm AO on it and shoot paper. It is a used rifle and it has been tricked out, but I do not know how much. The trigger is as sweet as a purdy girls kiss and the thing points itself. Same model that Willie bought last week. He was bowled over with it when he picked his up for the first time.

If you look at one, DO NOT SHOULDER THE RIFLE UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON BUYING IT.

Archived