SASS Wire Forum

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05250.jpg

Guys I have to go to bed. I'm tired. Look what I did all day. :)

Sleep well friend. Nice looking break open scatter gun you got there.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a 10/22 a few years ago, think I've had it out once. The after market larger cap mags didn't work well, and seemed like even the stock mag tended to jam. Couple that with the fact I couldn't hit much with it, but picked up my 39A and hit everything, I don't know how much use the 10/22 will get. If I can get it running decent with higher cap mags it could be fun, but...

I wish I had a place closer to home to go plink, two hours plus on the road for an hour of plinking isn't worth it very often to me.

I shot a chicken with a 308 once...

isn't that a awful big bullet of a little hen? lol Maybe it was a deer chicken? lol

isn't that a awful big bullet of a little hen? lol Maybe it was a deer chicken? lol

I shot the head off of a grouse while deer hunting many moons ago. I cheated because I had a good scope. I figured if I hit him in he head I would not spoil any meat. He never knew what hit him. Never marked a feather below his neck. Decided that grouse hunting with a 30.06 is not my sport.

I had a little Marlin like that, my first gun actually, it got rusted when I was living in a camper shell on my truck, and then somewhere in the process of getting it redone it disappeared. Iron sights, fun little rifle.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_varmint_rifles.htm This is a great article BMC, and the Ruger that they tested is the one that I have.....

Growing up in Southern Illinois, back in the 40's and 50's, the Marlin and Remington were the squirrel rifle of choice in .22 LR. Of course the .17 Cal was not around then. Seems strange to me that now, they are joined at the wallet. Remington, of course, owns Marlin.

Given that, in the modern era, I do not think I would chose either as my first choice in a .22LR.

Just my preference and opinion. YMMV

I seem to recall that it was Hornady, CCI, and Winchester that developed the .17 HMR. I could be mistaken on that. Hornady and CCI do not manufacture rifles, and Winchester has gone the way of the Lone Ranger. So, if I plan to convert to a bolt action I will want it in the .17 HMR caliber.

But since I have never shot that caliber, wisdom dictates that I should do so, before plunking down my hard earned greenbacks for a new rifle. I still don't understand just why I need a new rifle, but as I said before, it is not about need, it is about WANT!

Cherokee Charlie has made his case for the Cooper line. Very nice but very pricey.

Willie has made his case for the Savage. Price is about right, but there seem to be issues

with the aesthetics and the fit and finish. At my age, I do not need to buy an UGLY gun.

Cherokee Charlie does, but I am above that.

Then there is the CZ. I would prefer to buy AMERICAN, but I am not certain of how much of the other brands are AMERICAN. You just never know this day and age.

So the search goes on. The good thing is that sometimes the pursuit is more fun than the capture. I will continue. When I have made a selection, I will let you all know. If you are interested

Growing up in Southern Illinois, back in the 40's and 50's, the Marlin and Remington were the squirrel rifle of choice in .22 LR. Of course the .17 Cal was not around then. Seems strange to me that now, they are joined at the wallet. Remington, of course, owns Marlin.

Given that, in the modern era, I do not think I would chose either as my first choice in a .22LR.

Just my preference and opinion. YMMV

I seem to recall that it was Hornady, CCI, and Winchester that developed the .17 HMR. I could be mistaken on that. Hornady and CCI do not manufacture rifles, and Winchester has gone the way of the Lone Ranger. So, if I plan to convert to a bolt action I will want it in the .17 HMR caliber.

But since I have never shot that caliber, wisdom dictates that I should do so, before plunking down my hard earned greenbacks for a new rifle. I still don't understand just why I need a new rifle, but as I said before, it is not about need, it is about WANT!

Cherokee Charlie has made his case for the Cooper line. Very nice but very pricey.

Willie has made his case for the Savage. Price is about right, but there seem to be issues

with the aesthetics and the fit and finish. At my age, I do not need to buy an UGLY gun.

Cherokee Charlie does, but I am above that.

Then there is the CZ. I would prefer to buy AMERICAN, but I am not certain of how much of the other brands are AMERICAN. You just never know this day and age.

So the search goes on. The good thing is that sometimes the pursuit is more fun than the capture. I will continue. When I have made a selection, I will let you all know. If you are interested

Since you want to buy American, buy the Ruger.....

I bought a 10/22 a few years ago, think I've had it out once. The after market larger cap mags didn't work well, and seemed like even the stock mag tended to jam. Couple that with the fact I couldn't hit much with it, but picked up my 39A and hit everything, I don't know how much use the 10/22 will get. If I can get it running decent with higher cap mags it could be fun, but...

I wish I had a place closer to home to go plink, two hours plus on the road for an hour of plinking isn't worth it very often to me.

Grizz I bought one of those 10/22 many many years ago and it is about the smoooooothest right on target gun a guy to ask for. One thing though the cheaper high cap mags didnot work well in it. My nephew shoot about 2000 rounds through it one weekend and never had a problem with it at all.

My all time favoritegun that I got for my kids was a daisy .22 single shot. Taught them all with that one. Cool little gun.

The 10/22 is a semi auto. I do not want a semi auto, I am looking for a bolt action.

I don't think they make the 10/22 in .17 HMR, do they?

Funny thing is, I learned some rather derogatory things about Coopers. Mostly, owners crabbing about the wood and the decline of figure. A few complaints about function also. At the asking price, I guess they want perfection. Out of my price range for a plunker however. One fellow went so far as to say that he did not believe that Cooper would be around within five or ten years.

Just about every rifle I have looked at, someone has found flaws in the manufacturing.

In my search, I have discovered some things about myself also. The things that I find important in my selection, are not really all that important and probable not a big issue with the manufacturer. The declining market and cost of manufacturing and materials are a big factor.

BMC,

There is one gun that has been left out and it's my fault. The Remington 504 is the epitome of bolt action rifles. It is classy. It is a classic. It is accurate. It is somewhat inexpensive. I have owned 3 of them. I shot them for fun but not in competition. I have shot mini chickens and paint balls off of golf tees with it at 50 yards with a 3x9x50 scope. I sold my last one about 3 months ago for $475 and it didn't have a scratch on it. Look on Gunbroker and Guns America for one and this gun will certainly be pleasing to the eye, check book and the results on targets. I guarentee it.

CC

BMC,

There is one gun that has been left out and it's my fault. The Remington 504 is the epitome of bolt action rifles. It is classy. It is a classic. It is accurate. It is somewhat inexpensive. I have owned 3 of them. I shot them for fun but not in competition. I have shot mini chickens and paint balls off of golf tees with it at 50 yards with a 3x9x50 scope. I sold my last one about 3 months ago for $475 and it didn't have a scratch on it. Look on Gunbroker and Guns America for one and this gun will certainly be pleasing to the eye, check book and the results on targets. I guarentee it.

CC

I will check them out CC. Are these ugly guns, like yours?

I don't do ugly guns?

No, they are gorgeous.

OOOOPSSSS! They only come in22. I'm sorry. :blush:

I ain't fancy cmancy enuff for no 17 HMR, I'll stick with 22 LR.

Well, I am trying to larn something here. I understand that the caliber is a very accurate caliber.

Wind is a factor however, as well as distance. Over 200 yards, I guess you can pretty much forget it. I thought the .22LR was a good round until I did a little research. Looks like the .17 HMR is very good. I also learned that the .17 mach2 is very accurate. But, and there is always a but,

not very many manufacturers have jumped on the band wagon and the does not seem to be a need for it. I think the HMR will be the one to bet on.

Of course, the ability of the guy pulling the trigger has a lot to do with the accuracy.

In my case, it is a "Long Shot".

OOOOPSSSS! They only come in22. I'm sorry. :blush:

Looks like they discontinued it in 2007. But the picture of it on the Remmy page looks

beautimus. Was that purdy little shotgun of yourn a 28 gauge? I thought you said you had one

in that size. It looked like a SXS. Were it?

Leave the Mach 2 alone. It won't knock the rams down. The 17 HMR is awsome. Accurate--understatement. Expensive to shoot----very.

Pleasing results to the shooter---overwhelming.

Well, I have always been a fan of Remington, but I have to say they sometimes they make me scratch my head. There is sale on a dealer's web page. He list the Remington as a model 547 but is out of stock. It was listed at a little over $1000.00. I went to Remington's web site and they don't even list it. They, Remington, list a semi auto, and a pump, but no bolt action. Must be me, but I don't understand marketing anymore. Maybe DJ will be able to shed some light on it when I go see him next week.

What about that SXS, CC?

I see that Weatherby offers a .17 HMR at just a tad over $1000.00. Being a Weatherby, it has gorgeous wood. But you can't shoot the wood. I have not seen any reports on them. Have to look into that.

That is a Beretta O/U 687 Silver Pigeon II two barrel set 20/28ga. I shoot the 28 ga. I got the extra 20 ga. because some of the boys I hunt with want to shoot the English style pheasant shoot and a 28 just won't do it.

Browning makes a T-Bolt in 17 and 22. I can attest for the 22 because I have one. It is a shooter but I don't know how good it would be in a 17 because it is a small gun. It sells for around $500.

If ya wanta cure the gunaholic thing, Retire and work in a gunshop part time, its aw sure cure...

Listen to people who ALL have tack drivers that shoot FLAT for 400 m. and want eargasplittenlowdenboomers to shoot white tail dear at 50 yds. Kinda funnie, but can get on your nerves quickly...

My link

Ruger - M77-.17 HMR in American Walnut. Mine is in the black laminate, 24" barrel. Absolutely dead on at 100 yards.

If ya wanta cure the gunaholic thing, Retire and work in a gunshop part time, its aw sure cure...

Listen to people who ALL have tack drivers that shoot FLAT for 400 m. and want eargasplittenlowdenboomers to shoot white tail dear at 50 yds. Kinda funnie, but can get on your nerves quickly...

I don't doubt that a minute Red. Reading some of the comments and threads on other forums

make me certain that I don't want to be in the woods with these guys.

My link

Ruger - M77-.17 HMR in American Walnut. Mine is in the black laminate

OKB, that looks nice. Any issues with it? I am looking for a laminated wood stock. Prefer tan but black would work.

OK, so I'm looking through the midway USA master catalog while I was in the outhouse this morning...happen to see a few pages of stuff for the Remington 700, well sir, I got one of them critters, so I see what's available...

Scared Bovine Batman!!

Did I read that right? Over FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS for a new trigger group? Another $300 something for a trigger guard box magazine setup? All I know is that if I can see it thru the scope, if I don't screw up, I can hit it with that rifle....as is. I sure ain't rich enough to make it into a 400 yard tack driver. At 400 yards I'd need a way stronger scope anyway. And a guide to show me where to look to begin with. Would probably need a new stock and barrel as well.

I imagine it's fun to build a rifle like that, I just know I can't afford to do it.

OKB, that looks nice. Any issues with it? I am looking for a laminated wood stock. Prefer tan but black would work.

...I have absolutely no issues with this rife....

...back 2 years ago, I was at the range with it... had it sighted in at 100 yards, was reloading, when a little sparrow landed right on the top of the target.... so, I challenged myself to take the shot, several of my cohorts were there so the challenge was increased. ...took aim and breath, started letting the breath out, took the shot.... ....and poof; little bird was gone...... just a ball of feathers from the Hornady varmit round--the little .17 HMR did it's thing.

Well, I went to the range with Willie today, to scope out the silhouette thingy. The were shooting them alright, but all of the rifles were .22 LR or .22 Mag. I guess there were some Mags there, but I did not see them. One of the fellows at the range said that they only shot .22s. Dang, them chickens is tiny. Come to thunk on it, all them silhouettes was tiny.

We did learn that there is a cowboy silhouette shoot at Machias on the third Saturday. I am going to run up and check it out. That might be a place for the .416 Rigby Pinfire.

I would advise you .22 shooters to stock up on ammunition. Willie was buying carloads of it today so there may be another shortage. :lol:

All in all, a fun day with a great companion. We had a bit of lunch and then did some shopping at the gun stores. :) I got to look at the Savage and Ruger up close and personal. I also saw a CZ but did not get to fondle it. In spite of the pimples on it's nose, I think I would go with the Savage if I were to buy one today. I am still having a hard time justifying buying one if I can not shoot it. Maybe I can find a range that has a silhouette shoot for .17 HMRs.

BMC

I know it is not exvactley what you want , but take a look at the Savage Mark 2 . They have a black synthenitic stock under then but the 3 I have shot are good for golf balls out to 100yds off a bipod .

I am sure a good shooter could do better with something else , but at $175 WITH A 3X9 Simmions scope I think it does a good job .

They also make a 17 on the same action as the 22mag .

See ya down the trail

CB

BMC

I know it is not exvactley what you want , but take a look at the Savage Mark 2 . They have a black synthenitic stock under then but the 3 I have shot are good for golf balls out to 100yds off a bipod .

I am sure a good shooter could do better with something else , but at $175 WITH A 3X9 Simmions scope I think it does a good job .

They also make a 17 on the same action as the 22mag .

See ya down the trail

CB

See my post above.

And then a question, what is the capacity on the box mag for the .22? the 17?

Archived