SASS Wire Forum

Atheists ain't got no hymns

Red Logan #12252

Well, I'm not quite an atheist, but I have not hidden the fact that I don't consider myself a Christian or a person with faith. Having said that, I have been a part of a couple of choirs that have performed Handel's The Messiah and it never fails to send a chill or two. I have performed other religious works and found pleasure in the sound of them. Amazing Grace played on a bagpipe will make me a bit misty eyed.

Go figure.

Well, I'm not quite an atheist, but I have not hidden the fact that I don't consider myself a Christian or a person with faith. Having said that, I have been a part of a couple of choirs that have performed Handel's The Messiah and it never fails to send a chill or two. I have performed other religious works and found pleasure in the sound of them. Amazing Grace played on a bagpipe will make me a bit misty eyed.

Go figure.

Doc,

Ya don't have to be real religious to have a belief that there is a God. All you gotta do is look around you and hope that there's something after this..

bro, I've been in more'n a few firefights in my day and I have seen plenty of guys start out as non believers but when the heavy stuff is falling down around you, they are praying not to get hit like everyone else. There is a saying that there are no atheists in foxholes and I believe it.

Doc,

Ya don't have to be real religious to have a belief that there is a God. All you gotta do is look around you and hope that there's something after this..

I have often joked that I am a Daoist with leanings toward Zen Buddhism. I don't know what comes after this, but something inside me says there is something beyond this realm, hence I am not an atheist.

bro, I've been in more'n a few firefights in my day and I have seen plenty of guys start out as non believers but when the heavy stuff is falling down around you, they are praying not to get hit like everyone else. There is a saying that there are no atheists in foxholes and I believe it.

I know a lot of people "find religion" for lack of a better way of putting it, during times of stress. I don't mean that in a derogatory manner either. It is pretty much a given for many. Having said that, I know a few vets that are atheists. My neighbor's father was a WWII vet, and a lawyer here in town. Once you got to know him, if the subject came up he would say simply that he lost his faith in the South Pacific. Pretty sobering stuff.

I have often joked that I am a Daoist with leanings toward Zen Buddhism. I don't know what comes after this, but something inside me says there is something beyond this realm, hence I am not an atheist.

I know a lot of people "find religion" for lack of a better way of putting it, during times of stress. I don't mean that in a derogatory manner either. It is pretty much a given for many. Having said that, I know a few vets that are atheists. My neighbor's father was a WWII vet, and a lawyer here in town. Once you got to know him, if the subject came up he would say simply that he lost his faith in the South Pacific. Pretty sobering stuff.

Doc, I can see somebody losing their faith because of what they have been through, done or seen. You can lose your faith and still believe in God. I know. I did.

22 months of Combat and seeing the results of VC and NVA attrocities (ARVN too)along with 28 years of Policing in Chicago's ghetto will give you all kinds of reasons to lose your faith but it actually makes you look for something better than death and the swill bucket of the ghetto.

I lost my faith but never lost sight of something to look forward to when our days are up...

Doc, I can see somebody losing their faith because of what they have been through, done or seen. You can lose your faith and still believe in God. I know. I did.

22 months of Combat and seeing the results of VC and NVA attrocities (ARVN too)along with 28 years of Policing in Chicago's ghetto will give you all kinds of reasons to lose your faith but it actually makes you look for something better than death and the swill bucket of the ghetto.

I lost my faith but never lost sight of something to look forward to when our days are up...

Well said. At the end of the day, I can still enjoy listening to The Messiah as well. And maybe one of these days singing it in a choir again.

Archived