SASS Wire Forum

How to replace front sight ?

Purly SASS # 57438

You can lay a flat piece of metal on the top of the bbl and tap it with a hammer.....that will push the top of the dovetail grooves down....if they are raised up. Put a little lock tight on it and put it back on and you should be fine. The other option is get a new sight and work it down to fit the rifle. They come oversized and it would be a great excuse to get a bigger one!

PS they go in one way and out the other.....if you don't get that right it will mess things up and the sight could become loose. Sorry I always get it backwards and have to figure it out but I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

You can tap the top of the bbl with a flat piece of metal and push the dovetail grooves down....if you follow me. Put a little lock tight on it and put it back on and you should be fine. The other option is get a new sight and work it down to fit the rifle. They come oversized and it would be a great excuse to get a bigger one!

That would work fine... on a rifle.

I have a 1873 revolver that the front sight come off.

I've had good luck by degreasing (really important) and using JB Weld to attach front sights to pistols. I've done several that way and haven't had one come off yet! Doesn't mess up the bluing like silver solder does.

Archived