SASS Wire Forum

Tree Fetch'n

BH, Marshal Rusty, and Chip went down to where the other tree fetchers were working. to work out the final detail;s of their catty palt/bobbysled launch onto team 2s wagon which already had a tree attached for coushening I guess.

There was some discussion as to the fact that one tree...THEIR TREE... would be sufficient, and that the catty palt idea was wrought with danger

Chip: WELL!!!... since when did we let a lil danger get in the way of tree fetch'n?

Cass: Chip You've dang near ruined nearly every tree we've ever gone after, not to mention the loss of life and limb.

Chip: So, we lost a couple lil piny limbs.... taint like no body ever got hurt.... serious like... sides... we're on a tight time schedule... taint got time fer wagon rides into town.

Cass and crew just shook their heads while they cinched down their tree securely

As Chip walked away.... something caught his eye

Hey dave, Chili pepper.... Why'd Cass put a fuse in tree trunk fer?

Grizzley: HEY CASS.... Whats the fuse for?

Cass : WHAT FUSE?

Chip, holding up the end of the fuse for Cass to see: THIS'N

Cass: IDJUT!... That ain't no fuse.... it's a tree root

Chip ponders WHY there would be a tree root sticking out of the end of a trunk.... sniffing the "tree root" hollers back to Cass: SURE SMELLS LIKE A FUSE"

CASS: Laugh'n under his breath at Chips one track mind, shouts back..... WELL THEN LIGHT IT!

Chip (happy to oblige) Tosser

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulp is watchin' from a safe distance.

He sees Chip strike a match on his whiskers........

He sees Chip light the fuse........

He imagines he hears the fuse burning..........

SIZZLE, SIZZLE, SIZZLE, SIZZLE..........................................................................

Pulp wonders how the cork inventory is down at the hardware store. Cass is probably gonna need a cork or two.

Cass that idjut thinks everything's a fuse. Finally I feel safe enought ta stand in front of sumpin he's lighting. Come on Cass let's get this wagon pointed in the right direction so we kin get this tree to the Saloon (ACS) before Christmas.

Pull it a litlle more this way........what the? You smell that Cass? Ya smells like a burning fus......................................................WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Hearing what the uninitiated would mistake a long roll of thunder, Smuteye looks up from his game of solitaire to find Bottles staring at the ceiling with a forlorn look on his face.

"Come on, Bottles, it ain't that bad," Smuteye says in consolation, "It ain't like they are gonna tear the whole place down."

"Again," he adds with a grin. B)

"You better not let Miss Molly hear you talkin' like that, Bottles, she'll wash your mouth out with soap fer sure." :)

The humongawagon, tree and all took off. Pulp couldn't tell if anyone was on it as it was going way too fast. Sorta a stretched out blur with a 30 foot flame behind it.

"Damn," thought Pulp, "I'm gonna have to remember that recipe."

He looked back down where the humongawagon was formerly parked. Steam was emanating from a somewhat human body shaped hole in the snow. "Better check it out." As he got closer he began to hear a low moan coming from the same somewhat human body shaped hole in the snow. Looking down into the somewhat human body shaped hole in the snow, he spies what sorta looks like Chip, but minus the hair, beard, mustache, and clothes.

"How come yore nekkid?" shouts Pulp. "Huh?", replies Chip. "Where'd yore hair and beard go?" shouts Pulp. "Huh?" replies Chip.

"Let's get you to my cabin and git you some clothes, then I'll take you down to the Saloon, git you some brandy."

"Did someone mention the Saloon?" answered Chip.

Ahhhhh... Thanks pulp?

What happenend?

Pulp: You lit the fuse.

Chip: SEE!.... I tol em it was a fuse

Well I guess that setteles it then.....

Pulp: Settles what?

Chip: Well.... since they skidaddled with the wagon.... Now we are gonna HAVE to use some serial splosives to Cattypalt/bobbysled launch the tree

You got any nitro round here?

Cassidy and Henry were holding on for dear life. They were both seated on the bench of the "battering ram wagon" (humongawagon?) when the fuse detonated it's load. And now the ram, complete with 30 foot tree was hurtling down the slopes, rapidly devouring the miles to Toostone.

Cassidy hollered over the whooshing "hold on Henry!! At least we're still on the ground!"

Henry hollered back, "yeah but old man Jessup is gonna be peeved about them oxen of his, all that's left of 'em is a few patches of bluish hide stuck to the harness! Guess we skinned 'em and run over 'em!"

The problem now was whether the wagon would make the trip without shaking apart. They were continually hitting rocks buried in the snow, and as their speed began to ease, the jarring of each rock they struck was much more pronounced.

Henry bounced high off the seat with the last one. "Cass, I think the wagon is starting to break down. Cassidy nodded, "yeah... much as I hate to say it we best climb into the lower branches of the tree. If the wagon goes, the tree will keep slidin'... I hope!"

Soon they were relatively secure in the bushy bottom of the tree. Their move had been timely, because sure enough the wagon struck a large rock and disintegrated. Happily the tree continued to roar along, much like a large green toboggan.

They cleared the last few trees dotting the hillside and hurtled into the open prairie. Toostone lay 3 miles... dead ahead...

Cassidy :)

Unfortunately for Rusty he had been in front of the wagon when it started it's journey. First he was trampled by the Oxen, then he grabbed the top of the tree. Too bad that was the most flexible part of the tree, with every bump the tree top raised the Marshal and then slammed him hard into the road. Lucky him, when the wagon disintegrated the tree fell to the roadway pinning the lawman to the road for the 3 mile trip to the Saloon (ACS).

First his hat was gone then his vest, shirt, badge, trousers,boots and then his socks. Thank God the elebentyhundred splinters from the wagon held his skin intact.

Pulp- "Naw Chip, ain't got no nitro, but I got another batch of the stuff I put in the tree just about ready to finish up."

Chip- "You put somethin' in the tree? Cass told me that was a root. Anyhow, that stuff ain't 'splosive enough, it burned good, but went WOOOOSH instead of BOOOOOM"

Pulp- "No problem, I ain't mixed in the clay yet. Trust me, it'll go BOOOOOM, maybe even BOOOOOOOOOOOM."

Chip- "All right then, grab a pile of it, and let's go find a tree. It still ain't too late to decorate the saloon."

"Hang on Henry, the Saloon (ACS) is dead ahead!!"

The tree was headed for the back wall of the Saloon at 50 or 60 miles per hour. Narrowly missing the outhouse it slammed through the wall with a huge crash! The tip of the tree angled down and stuck in a spittoon, the trunk raised up and the entire tree wedged itself between the floor and the balcony, right next to Grizzly Dave's tree... but UPSIDE DOWN!

Cassidy and Henry Horns climbed out of the branches, breathless but without a scratch.

Just then a roar was heard, and a naked, muddy, seven-foot tall porcupine popped out of the branches. Marshal Rusty looked around, "Well, we did it... but we got one tree right side up, and one tree upside down.

Bottles opined that the hole in the wall was actually a good place to put a picture window.

Madame Fifi took Rusty upstairs to remove the mud and splinters and find him some clothes.

The Saloon denizens began to decorate the upside down tree.

Cassidy bought Henry a beer, looked around and commented, "the roof is still intact but Chip ain't here yet."

Cassidy :FlagAm:

Pulp and Chip was lookin' for the perfect tree when Pulp says, "Ya know, I'm gittin' kinda hungry. What say we ride to Toostone and get one of Molly's steaks, and a whole bunch of beer to wash it down with."

"Sounds good" says Chip. "We still gots a few days afer Christmas to get the perfect tree."

Arrivin' at the Saloon they look through the window. They see two trees, both decorated, but one upside down. Between servin' drinks Bottles is framin' up a big hole in the wall. Outside the wall and up toward the mountains is a set of tracks like neither had ever seen before. Even some clothes scattered here and there along the tracks.

"Molly", yells Chip, "We's hungry. How 'bout a couple of your steaks? Bottles, pert near all the beer ya got. This tree fetchin' is hard work. Done lost all my hair, my eyebrows, and my beard. Face is a bit red too."

Molly brings the food, and while the intrepid couple are eating, Pulp says, "Ya know Chip, Grizz is still ina heap o' trouble with Timberline, and probably Flint. I've got an idea on how we can fix it up for him, and it involves explodey stuff. Finish up here and I'll explain it on the way to Timberline's tree farm."

"Explodey stuff, count me in."

And away they go, each knowing Timberline will soon be happy, which means Grizz will soon be happy. Not sure about Flint though, rumor has it he holds a grudge. :FlagAm:

Guest Henry Horns SASS #19579L

Henry, a bit sshhaaakkin from that wild tree ride and now tryin’ to hold onto his beer (thank ye SJC), sets down ponderin’.

Ya know, this Tree Fetchin’ had some rockety stuff what Pulp mixed up and it went Woooossssshh, and that was a ride that you & me & marsha Rusty won’t soon forget, but there just wasn’t any “Boooomm!” like all the other times. I almost miss the Boooomm! :FlagAm: Oh well. My turn to buy. Cheers, Pard.

After a few beers, Cassidy and Henry got into a deep discussion with Bottles.

"Have we ever had the tree set up five days before Christmas?" Bottles shook his head no.

"Well have we ever had the tree up earlier than Christmas Eve??" Bottles shook his head no.

"Well have we ever had a tree that wasn't scorched before? Much less two??" Bottles shook his head no.

"Well didja ever get blinded by Rusty's white hindside before?" "Why the hell didja bring that up???" "I dunno..." Bottles shook his head no.

"Have we ever had a Christmas in Toostone where there wasn't a big BOOM?" Bottles shook his head no.

"Well knowing Chip ain't here don't that scare the heck outa you??" Bottles nodded his head yes.

Cassidy and Henry went outside, mounted up and rode off to look for Chip. Sometimes curiosity overcomes all sense of reason or sanity.

"Ya see Chip, here's what we gotta do. I'll go up to Timberlines Tree Farm and find the stump of the tree Grizz chopped down. I'll set some charges around the stump. You go on up the mountain and find the perfect tree. Put a note on it that sez, "Dear Ms Timberline, here is a replacement tree for the one I wrongly cut down." Set charges around it, be sure to get under the rootball. Aim it toward me. I'll blow the stump and create a hole, you blow the tree and it'll drop right in the hole. Simple, huh. Timberline will see the new tree, read the note, forgive Grizz, and everbody will be happy."

"Sounds good," sez Chip. "Let's split up your 'splody stuff, give me the bigger half cause I gotta launch a whole tree, you just gotta blow a stump."

A few hours later the charges are set. Pulp waves his hat at Chip, Chip returns the wave. Pulp lights his fuse, Chip lights his fuse. As the fuses are burning, Pulp happens to notice that Flint and Timberlines house, the stump and the tree are all in the same line.

"I hope I didn't give too much of the bigger half."

On his way back to the mountain to set the tree charge, Chip gets to wonder'n what happened to Grizz, Chili pepper, BH and Big Jake. They had been working with him earlier....

Perhaps they sought safe haven when he lit the fuse.

Well... better get to work he muttered to himself...

OH...Looky there.... they been busy whilst I was gone.... BH musta figgered We'd need a lil more ballast an dug the whole tree out an set it in the cattypalt'n machine.

Trouble is we lost our bobbysled'ntreecatch'nwagon...

What to do.... what to do.....

HEHE... I know MORE SPLOSIVES!

Yes sir.... I'll add a a lil more splody powder to theback side of things here... re aim it a bit since the bobby sled is out of the picture....

add a lil more powder to compinsate fer the wind

and a lil more to offset the tidal imbalance due to the full moon

HMMmmm... a lil humid too... better add a touch more fer that....

less see.... what am I ferget'n?

Hehe... almost fergot.... I always add a lil bit extry cause I usually guess a lil bit under charge.

THERE!... that's bout right..... AND....

I'll use the present 3E's give me earlier to set the whle thing off...

This's gonna be perfect.... They can't say my plan wasn't well thought out this time.

Chip signaled Pulp

lit the fuse....

KAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmm

The explosion rocked the hill side, but instead of assisting the lever arm, it threw the entire catapult into the air spinning like a giant cartwheel...

As it spun it would occasionally touch down and the platform that held the original tree (which didn't survive the explosion) would act like a giant scoop.

It would pluck a tree from the ground and hurl it into the air. Down the hillside it flew, grabbing a new tree about every three seconds. Chip lost count after elebentynine and stopped counting , but from his position it looked like a green cloud was raining down on Toostone. Trees were dropping from the sky everywhere. He grabbed a notebook from his pocket and scribbled

*note to self..... cattypalts might not be a good idee fer tree fetch'n.... Pulp makes good splosives*

Chip sat back and watched the tree rain, and was certain at least a minimum of seven hit the Saloon (ACS)

He wasn't sure where the catipault went, but it was still dig'n and throw'n last he saw it...

And he was grateful that he had a large steak for supper, it would be awhile before he could show his face in Toostone.

Chip (what used just the right ammount of powder) Tosser

Cassidy and Henry Horns sat as still as they could while Christmas trees rained all around them. They'd barely gotten fifty feet down the street from the Saloon (ACS) when the pine shower began. They'd heard a high pitched whoooosh above them, looked up, and froze. Not daring to move as the trees continued to rain down, one at a time, until the Main street of Toostone looked like a Maine forest.

When the tree shower ended, they both exhaled unable to believe they'd not been hit. Checking their horses, they dismounted shakily and began to lead the animals toward the Saloon. Amazingly, there were so many trees they had to change direction every few feet. Soon they were lost in the forest.

"Henry, there's no use movin' anymore. We best set here and fire a gun for a signal once in a while til somebody finds us. Can't believe all the trees stuck like they did. I heard some crashin' sounds too... musta had a few hit buildings."

Henry found his voice "I wonder how much Chip will owe for damages this time?"

Cassidy :blush:

Pulp's fuse burned down to the special mix. But since he only had a stump to remove, no one even heard his little 'pop' over the big BOOOOOOOM of Chip's real deal of an explosion.

After the trees had stopped raining down on Toostone, Pulp turned back to see a perfect sized hole to set a tree in. But all the trees had gone the wrong way. So now, not only did Timberline lose a tree, she's also lost a lot of dirt in her pristine tree farm. "I reckon she'll notice that," thought Pulp, "sure needs a tree in it. Well, let's see, they's a bunch of trees in Toostone. I'd reckon we could still get one of them up here."

"Yes, Bottles, it's a wonderment to us all," Smuteye says as he and the Toostone bartender stare at the Holiday chaos that generally follows a "tree fetchin' ".

Bottles, on the other hand does not seem to see the 'wonderment' of the situation. He strides purposefully toward the stockroom at the end of the bar and returns with a arm full of picks and spades.

"Bottles, you have been readin' BH's books again, ain'cha?"

"We ain't diggin' no big ditch around the Saloon (always capitalize Saloon :blush: ) so's you can have one of them glacis things. Shoot, we'd have to tear down half the town to make it wide enough and deep enough to do any good."

"Quit yer grumblin', the saw mill in Buffaler Rump will have the order delivered here in the mornin' and you and Miss Molly can supervise Chip and his merry band whilst they go to fixin' and mendin' again. 'Sides, every year the tree comes from above, not through a wall. All a glacis would do is make a ramp for somethin' to fall right on the roof anyhow."

It was Silver Dollar Bobby who found them, and they'd only fired a few rounds and hollered for a little while. He led them straight to the Saloon (ACS), received a generous tip of several silver dollars and was on his way.

Cassidy was the first to speak, "Bottle, you can't make one of them Glacis things! We been through this before, you'd hafta raise the Saloon several feet to have it be right... just ain't possible!"

Bottles stopped his digging, held up seven fingers for emphasis and led the way into the Saloon. Sure enough, there were seven holes in the roof. There were also now NINE Christmas trees around the Saloon... the original one from Miz T, the upside down one, and seven new ones sticking in the floor.

Henry whistled and whispered to Cassidy "Jack, this time Bottles looks like he'll kill Chip!!"

Cassidy :blush:

Chip stood at the edge of town...

at least he thought it was the edge, it was kind of hard to tell now....

it was more like a forest...

Dang!.... This's gotta be the town limit, but it looks more like Miss T's place on steroids

Sure is a lot of trees...

I bet Robbing Hood'd feel right ta home here.

Maybe we could join em er even start our own band of Merry Saloonatics.

Cass'd make a good Friar

An Lefty'd fit right in as the Sheriff of nuttenhammer.

An ol Flint's prolly got some tights from his secret service days.... He could be Flint Locksley

I think I see another chapter in the life of Toostone

The government agent from the Department of the Interior was astonished that the forest wasn't on any maps. He sent several telegrams arranging to have three lumber companies come to Toostone and take down the forest. He worked fast, knowing that his counterpart from the Parks Department would turn it into a National Park or Wildlife Refuge.

The lumbermen arrived and turned Toostone into a large logging camp. The loggers thought it was pretty funny taking down some of the trees... the ones that were in buildings specifically. After a couple of days only two trees remained, both in the Saloon (ACS)... one upside down and one right side up. The lumberjacks moved on, headed for Idaho.

Except for a few small craters around town, things were almost back to normal. The mayor was pretty adamant about it, and soon even the craters were filled in. Armed guards ensured that Chip, BH, Pulp and Smuteye filled all the craters perfectly while the citizens watched.

Marshal Rusty allowed that a couple of them should have hung for the tree that had landed inside his jail. Miz Barbra corrected his lack of Christmas Spirit with a fry-pan and finally all was as it should have been...

Merry Christmas Toostone!

The party was going strong at the Saloon (ACS) when Chip realized he hadn't seen Grizz since the explosion. "Anyone seen Grizz?"

The room quieted everyone looking around, no one had seen ol Grizz.

Suddenly the biggest tree right in the middle of the room started to shake, then rumble, and down from inside the massive boughs slid Grizz. Seems he'd chosen the wrong tree to hide in when the explosion had gone off.

Another Christmassy tree fetch'n goes into the logbooks...

Hehehehe... lil pun there :FlagAm:

Anywho... all is right in Toostone

Folks are back to doing their shopping and such without constantly watching the skies

The patrons of the Saloon (ACS) are at their normal tables.

Chip puts the final touches on another tree orniment...

THERE!.... this'ns a little revolver what's missing the front sight.

It's for Duke Chisum... He was a great Pard... and the last gun fight we was in, He lost his front sight blade.

we tried to find it, but he said it didn't matter anyway....

said the thing was always in the way.... block'n his view. (true story)

Chip lifts his glass... Here's to you Duke, and all the Saloonatics past and present, and most importantly, to him whos birth we celebrate this time of year, our Lord Jesus Christ

Merry Christmas one and all

Chip (what's hope'n Sandy Claws twern't look'n the last couple days, and hope'n he saw my list *more splosives*) Tosser

Sgt. Major Fifi had pulled the last splinter from the Marshal. Rusty then climbed up the Saloon (ACS) gallows and intertwined mistletoe thru one of the nooses. He then lined up all the Nursifyin Nuns along the gallows.

Ohhhh Chip!!!!!!!! The nuns want ya ta stand under the mistletoe so's they kin kiss ya!

Psst! Chip! Before I hang ya I want ya ta know I remember well the day Duke lost his front sight. I recall he shot better after that. He was a joy to be around as were all the Saloonatics we had the pleasure to shoot with. I hope someday the good Lord will allow us all to Posse together again with Duke.

Now back to our regularly scheduled hanging!

Chili Pepper Kid rides inta the Saloon on "Thundering Flatuence". Dismounts and fires off both barrels from his faithful shotgun "Company".

Come on pards!!! Lets howl!!!!!!!!!

Bottles set em up, Whiskey for my men and Beer for my gaseous mule. Hmmm might be a county song thar sum whar.

Merry Christmas to all!

Chili Pepper Kid

Pulp is in his usual spot in the Saloon, up on the balcony where he can watch over the whole place. Several of the Saloon Gals are playin' poker. Pulp looks over the shoulder of one, "Nice pair," he thinks, then looks at the cards.

He's still kinda worried about that little hole in the ground at Timberline's Untouchable Christmas Tree Farm. (TUCTF from now on.) He's still kinda worried about Grizz. Did Timberline give 'im a good 'nuff whuppin' to vent her anger, or does he still have some more whuppin' comin'? It is Christmas, maybe she'll find it in her heart to let things go. He's not too worried about Chip, Chip's dodged more nooses than most ropin' calves, he'll dodge this one. He reckons he can git a load of good topsoil in the mornin' and take it up to TUCTF and fill the hole and plant a little tree. Maybe Chip and Grizz will even join in with the shovelin'. 'Course Grizz may still be a little stove up for shovelin'. "Oh well, we'll think of somethin'."

So he leans back in his chair, props his feet on the balcony rail, raises his glass and hollers,

"Merry Christmas to all."

Shore is pretty here, all the trees really light up the place.

Guest Henry Horns SASS #19579L

Welllll, It looks like we didn't miss the big “KaaaBoooomm!” after all. :huh:

Tree fetchin' time is one of my favoritest times of the year. Gets a bit 'splody, too. Sure do miss some of our Pards though, but as Marshal Rusty said,

"I hope someday the good Lord will allow us all to Posse together again with Duke."

Merry Christmas Toostone, Posse 1, alla the Saloonatics, and may God Bless.

Henry(whats still pickin' pine needles outa the beard)Horns & Hazel Belle :unsure: .

You're right Marshal... As Duke and I searched for the missing sight, he commented that "he'd probably do better without it". As he shot the next stage, I believe he only hit one target with that revolver. I was working the un loading table, as he approached he commented..... "YUP! BETTER!" We both got a good laugh out of that. I think of that often when I read about folks who have a dispute or feel slighted because something might have gone awry on their stage. Duke set a fine example.... It's not about the final score. It's about having fun with your friends.

*Chip stood under the mistletoe.... Waiting*

Hehehehe... I knew this tree fetch'n would pay off someday :FlagAm:

I coulda swore that Dukey hit 4 with the pistola with the missing sight and promptly missed 4 with the other handgun (although that could have been on a stage later in the day). That ain't important though, what's important is that Dukey laughed even louder than the rest of us... and it's a wonderful memory of a man we all considered one of our best friends! Thanks Chip and Rusty, it's been a while since I remembered that day!

Miss ya Duke!!

And Merry Christmas all!

There's a campfire in the heavens

around it freindships glow

There's talk of friends and laughter

of Tree fetchin's long ago

Duke , Gunny and Suzee smile

and cast their eyes to us below

they know we miss them, they miss us too

They are sure of something that we don't know

The Lord has brought them to his birthday feast

in time our turn will come

we'll join them at the campfire

yes each and every one

Ventures of long ago

the stories will be told

Memories that we treasure

even more than gold

Posse 1 will saddle up

to enjoy another ride

glancing at each others face

will show a swelling pride

They'll ride the heavens

each and every day

and swoop down to earth

along the way

Their misson now

for the Lord above

To bring fallen Cowboys

to His lasting love

Merry Christmas to the best family a Cowboy could ask for!

Archived