SASS Wire Forum

The best boots you have ever owned?

Deja Vous

I had a pair of Tony Lamas about 40 years ago that I preferred over all my others. They were really super comfortable. Very plain. I had them re-soled and re-soled and re-soled until finally the guy at the shoe shop said that there was absolutely no way he could re-sole them again and for me to just break down and buy a new pair of boots. The tops were finally just falling apart. One of the saddest days in my life. :unsure:

Same story but with a pair of Dan Post, I still miss 'em :lol:

My favorite current ones are Double H roper lace ups, but they're beginning to look pretty rough. I'm not out to make a fashion statement though so when I go to grab a pair of boots out of the closet, the nice shiny ones get passed up and they are the ones I gravitate to everytime ;)

Currently, I have three pairs of packers, two pairs of lace-up ropers, and I don't know how many pairs of pull-ons. My Hathorne packers are probably the most comfortable boots I own now, followed closely by the three or four pairs of Ariats. Of course, my packers get a real workout during the summer and fall and I really appreciate the comfort.

(Hmmm. After re-reading this, I sound like the Imelda Marcos of the boot world. :unsure: )

i'm another one that has a hard time finding boots that fit.Short of kicking a cow in the side and walking off,the only boots I've found that fit right in the last 20 odd years are my Nacona's.Found them in a hole in the wall boot shop on a trip to Vegas one year.Bought a pair of rough outs and liked them so much when I went back the next year I bought a pair of brown leather ones.Those fit great,but couldn't get used to the real high tops on them,so had a local shoeshop cut the tops down to the same height as my rough outs.Oh,and I prefer the riding heel.

Hard to pick just one:

M L Leddy and/or Dunn boots-----don't get any better

A pair of ah well exotic skinned boots made by Montana in Mexico.. Don't laugh cause these rivalled anything mass produced in the USA back in the 80's.

A pair of whale skin boots...Tony Lama.. made in the 70's.....they flat would not wear out.

Currently, I really like Double H

There are a lot of great boots out there... No one should have just one pair.. lol

#1. M L Leddy!!!! Wore them growing up In San Angelo Tx and still have 2 pair now.

#2 Tony Lama Ostrich

#3. Ariat that I shoot in

The first year that Ariat came out a lot of people out training and riding with me bought them. They were very comfortable. I did try them on, I have a pretty high instep and something with that and the one I tried on did not work out so well, but the bottoms were like bearskin on my feets.. loll... I only tried them once guess I should have again, but I went with what does work for me ... if my arches ever fall i will be two inches shorter and my feet two inches longer... lol

I've got a pair of Nacona Angoran goat boots that I've had for 25 years. I don't know if you can get the angora hide any more. They quit exporting it for a while. The leatrher is as soft as glove leather, but it is tuff. The boots have had several soles and heels put on them, but the leather is still great. When I don't wear them for a while they seem tight when I first put them on, but they loosen up pretty quick.

I've got a pair of Nacona Angoran goat boots that I've had for 25 years. I don't know if you can get the angora hide any more. They quit exporting it for a while. The leatrher is as soft as glove leather, but it is tuff. The boots have had several soles and heels put on them, but the leather is still great. When I don't wear them for a while they seem tight when I first put them on, but they loosen up pretty quick.

It is interesting that you boot shrink back up.. my really old Olathees do not shrink up at all, calf hide though too may make the difference. In fact I wear them with heavy socks now.

About 2 years ago I had my feet measured fer a pair of custom made boots made by Nick Rennik in Riverside, CA fer CAS. I finally picked them up about 4 months ago as there was some special circumstances involved which delayed the delivery and I'm OK with it all. Anyhow, if'n y'all might remember the move Appaloosa, well I had Nick make me a reproduction of the boots worn by Vigo Mortensen as Everette Hitch in the movie. They are a tall boot and very comfortable. Don't know if'n they are the most comfortable boot that I've ever owned, but they are the most expensive. :blush::blink::rolleyes:

Ricochet Roy

About 2 years ago I had my feet measured fer a pair of custom made boots made by Nick Rennik in Riverside, CA fer CAS. I finally picked them up about 4 months ago as there was some special circumstances involved which delayed the delivery and I'm OK with it all. Anyhow, if'n y'all might remember the move Appaloosa, well I had Nick make me a reproduction of the boots worn by Vigo Mortensen as Everette Hitch in the movie. They are a tall boot and very comfortable. Don't know if'n they are the most comfortable boot that I've ever owned, but they are the most expensive. :blush::blink::rolleyes:

Ricochet Roy

Okay.. gotta see them now.. lol... Craftsmen do take their time... lol

Okay.. gotta see them now.. lol... Craftsmen do take their time... lol

Deja,

I was wearing them at the Gunfight. See you on Sunday at The Cowboys, POSSE 2. :rolleyes:

Roy

Deja Vous said it right, "There are a lot of good boots out there." I have been wearing cowboy boots for nearly 70 years and have liked a lot of them. The most comfortable ... for me, let me add ..... are the lower priced Lucchesse, like the model 2000 and the 1883. They are not tough enough for hard ranch work, but they are as comfortable as house slippers.

I took a calendar with a photo of some antique boots made in Texas before 1900 to a custom boot maker, and had some copies made for cowboy shooting. I did lower that Cuban heel, so I wouldn't fall down and shoot my leg. They were expensive, and rank as the most uncomfortable I have ever worn. I only wear them for short periods of time.

These new Ariats truly are a tough, comfortable boot also.

H&H insulated work boot with oil soles. Finished inside and out. Wore them in garage work nearly thirty years. Have a pair now for the ranch but they are NOT insulated and they are rough on the inside like all others.

Archived