SASS Wire Forum

Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullets......

Blacky Montana SASS # 19953

Hey folks,

With me just now getting into reloading, I've been looking over the net at all the different powders, brass, and bullets that are available. Some of the bullets that interest me as a starting point are the Oregon Trail Laser-Cast. I will be loading .45 LC for my Vaquero's & 1873 Wionchester. Anyone out there using these bullets, and what powder do you recommend using with them? I was considering using Trail Boss powder.

Thanks,

Blacky

They are exceptional quality and I would not tell you not not to use them, the alloy is a little harder than lead and you can get higher velocities out of them. Although that is no advantage in CAS. For CAS I just shoot regular old lead, because of cost.

Blacky,

I use Oregon Trail 200gr and Trail Boss for my 1858 Remingontons with Howell Old West (formerly R&D) conversion cylinders, and when I first started I loaded their 250gr .45 Colt for everything else my dad and I shoot (Rugers, Berettas, Rossi '92, Uberti '66, etc.). In the last 3 years, I've never had any issues at all with them.

Trail Boss is nice for the big black powder cases. I haven't used any other powders and never found any reason to change. Contrary to popular myth, you CAN double-charge a .45 Cot case without overflowing it, but it is REALLY noticable when you do. That was one of the reasons I went with it as a new reloader. Give it a try and see what you think. One bottle will load somewhere around 1000 rounds so if you don't like it, you'll have the opportunity to try something else pretty quickly, especially if you do much practicing.

Doc Crumley

Blacky:

I have used Laser-Cast for the last 4 years. I really like them - accuracy is better than my ability, and they do not lead the bores at all. However, if you're just starting reloading and are spending a lot on equipment, be aware that they are expensive when compared to a lot of other bullets. Buying direct from Oregon Trail helps if you get in on one of of their volume deals, but any way you look at it, Laser-Cast isn't cheap. I have loaded several thousand rounds with Trailboss and Laser Cast, and even more than that with APP black powder substitute. Either way works fine, just follow the published data. My opinion only, Trailboss is much harder to clean from guns than some other smokeless powders, especially in 45LC, but a heavier bullet and a tight crimp can help with blow-back. I now permanently inhabit the Dark Side, so cleaning is a breeze.

Count Sandor

If you can't find bullets locally, I recommend these: Shade Tree's 45's Email: shadetree68154@centurytel.net

Good prices, too, 500 for $28 or 1000 for $55. That's cheap for 45s! 200 gr. RNFP

I think you can get 4 boxes for $14 shipping.

Missouri Bullet Co. has good bullets for good prices. too.

As I said...I am just learning all the "in's and out's" of reloading. One of my reasons for picking Laser-Cast is due to their claim of not leading the barrel. The reason behind the Trail Boss, is the fact it is suppose to be harder to double charge the same case without overflowing....or so I've read anyway...lol. I'm always open to suggestions from you experienced reloaders.

Thanks,

Blacky

P.S... Even though Laser-Cast isn't cheap, it HAS to me cheaper than buying factory...lol.

I've used Oregon Laser-Cast bullets since getting into CAS (about 4 years). Good quality, good service, good accuracy. The bullets

are probably a little 'hard' for CAS but usable. The price is OK (as you say "better than factory loads"). However, lately I've been using

200 Gr. 45 bullets from "S and S Casting" (you can find them on the web). They cost about $36.00/500 plus shipping.

Tracker

:rolleyes: ...Like the others have said, nothin' wrong with Laser-Cast, but they may be too expensive for what we do....also don't forget that the real "champeens" among us will endorse them and get their supply for free - nuthin' wrong with that as long as the quality remains good for all the rest of us. As for me, in my area Paul Moulton, of "Moulton - Lead Bullets" puts out a fine product at a reasonable price. And if you shoot Black Powder, "Slim Pony" is just SUPER!

FWIW, Doc

Archived