SASS Wire Forum

Ammo is loaded!

Manatee

Got a buncha rounds loaded today. Pretty much my standard loads that I've been using this year. Don't know what they Chrono, but they certainly top the Vihtavouri data on Long Hunter's website.

Gonna load some bigger ones tomorrow......and mebbe the 38-40's with full bp loads jest in case.

Ain't no target whut cain't be hit. Ain't no knockdown whut cain't fall.

With bp, more is always better. Like bomb disosal guys always "ain't no problem that an abundant amount of C4 can't take card of". Bigger bullet can't hurt neither.

Manatee :DB) Spelling?? :D:D Got mine loaded too. Regular .38's PF75, my knockdowns PF115, and for Sunday's WB Match my std. 45ACP PF 170 USPSA loads. and my 45Colt PF 140 for the rifle and revolver. LOOK OUT KD's. You will land in Texas when I'm through with you :):)B)

Manatee :D  B) Spelling?? :D  :D  Got mine loaded too. Regular .38's PF75, my knockdowns PF115, and for Sunday's WB Match my std. 45ACP PF 170 USPSA loads. and my 45Colt PF 140 for the rifle and revolver.  LOOK OUT KD's. You will land in Texas when I'm through with you :)  :)  B)

875365[/snapback]

Your .38 knock down loads will work fine. At the Buffalo Stampede I shot 150 PF and leveled the knock downs. I had excessive momentum. At Sunday's Buffalo Range Rider match my wife's .32s with PF 70 took down the revolver knock downs with ~50% reliability. With PF 115 I'd expect the knockdowns to fall so long as you didn't hit the bottom of the target. Good luck!

Dagnabit!  Gunna hafta get a spell chekker.  Or a smarter 'puter.

875332[/snapback]

Mal, I know that one, I'm the spelling wizard that put an "A" in Belle Union.

The good thing is that I get to shoot with Manatee at EOT. Look forword to meeting that Pard.

TH

I have seen 90gn 38's take most of them tdown and the first year I shoot at the ranch I was shootign 125gn 38's and never had a problem.

I sent a spy to the last Founders club match, last weekend. He shoots 125's with 2.6 of Clays. He reports all knock downs keeled over when struck anywhere near center. Don't worry :) Mr. Nicktem: I see we're going to be on the same posse at EOT, looking foward to it!

Do you guys think a 135 gr. .38 sp would be enough to knock them down?

876207[/snapback]

I agree with Mudflap Mike. I'd expect that a 135 grain bullet travelling in the 800's (fps) would be a high-reliability, knock down load for the knock down targets I've shot at the ranch this year. After seeing my wife's hot 90 grain loads barely taking down the knock downs when they hit the upper third of a target, I'd save that light a bullet for non-knock down targets.

I appreciate being able to share this experience in a non-hostile thread.

If people are worried about it you can bring some heavier loads. Personally I am not worried about it. 125 grains with 3.6 grains of VV 320 is what I am bringing and they will easily fall down with that even at the bottom half of the target.

Personally I hate all this power factor and light load talk. I was shooting 3.1 grains and when I went to 3.6 I shoot much more accuratly. Th eload is heavy enough there is a solid buck with the revolver when I shoot it.

Mucho thanks guys!!! I have a bunch of 135 gr. with 3 grains of Trail Boss. So for what it sounds like, that should be enough as long as I hit the target in the middle.

Mudflat Mike: We are going to have a grand ole time! I am really looking forward to it! See you there!

If people are worried about it you can bring some heavier loads. Personally I am not worried about it. 125 grains with 3.6 grains of VV 320 is what I am bringing and they will easily fall down with that even at the bottom half of the target.

Personally I hate all this power factor and light load talk. I was shooting 3.1 grains and when I went to 3.6 I shoot much more accuratly. Th eload is heavy enough there is a solid buck with the revolver when I shoot it.

876376[/snapback]

I'm 10% heavier than that with my standard load. Shootin gunfighter, the barrels don't move all that much. But...I'm used to 38-40 with bp.

I'm 10% heavier than that with my standard load.  Shootin gunfighter, the barrels don't move all that much.  But...I'm used to 38-40 with bp.

876528[/snapback]

Well they seem heavy to me. Granted I am a wimp. Remember too I am the guy who used to load my 45's so light that once the bullet bounced off a piece of paper with an 1/8 inch cardboard backing. Oh and the target was 2 feet in front of me and the bullet hit the RO's foot. They still bust my ass about that today.

I was at 3.1 and they were pretty light especially out of the rifle so I beefed them up a bit. If a 32 will knock them down these won't have a problem at all.

Well they seem heavy to me. Granted I am a wimp. Remember too I am the guy who used to load my 45's so light that once the bullet bounced off a piece of paper with an 1/8 inch cardboard backing. Oh and the target was 2 feet in front of me and the bullet hit the RO's foot. They still bust my ass about that today.

I was at 3.1 and they were pretty light especially out of the rifle so I beefed them up a bit. If a 32 will knock them down these won't have a problem at all.

876709[/snapback]

"Kid Dimple", you will NEVER live that 45 load down!

"Kid Dimple", you will NEVER live that 45 load down!

877426[/snapback]

Ain't that the truth ! That "Kid Dimple" story is STILL alive and well. :)

Gonna be loading up some ammo tonight. The guns and ammo are leaving our house Sunday. :D My clothes left early this morning . :D:)

See ya'll in 11 days !!! B):D

PS: I think our flight gets in around 2:30ish so maybe we'll see ya at the airport Kid Dimp......Young Thunder.

Maybe I will see ya there at the airport then. I think I am only one posse over from you guys (posse 9) so I will stop by and say hi.

Me, I am taking my guns and all my clothes on the plane. I am only shipping my ammo and I am doing that tomorrow. If I could find someone to take my guns that would be great but it seems like not many people from the NW are driving down this year.

If Kid Dimple can figgure how to get his irons up to Everett before next Wed., I'll drive 'em down to EOT & back.

877841[/snapback]

I might take ya up on that Mike. Thanks for the offer. I got your number and I will give you a call. Maybe I can get up that way on Sunday. Flying with guns has never been a problem when I have done it but it sure makes it easier knowing I don't have to worry about it.

Ain't that the truth !  That "Kid Dimple" story is STILL alive and well.  :D

Gonna be loading up some ammo tonight.  The guns and ammo are leaving our house Sunday.  :D  My clothes left early this morning . :)  :)

See ya'll in 11 days !!!  B)  :D

PS:  I think our flight gets in around 2:30ish so maybe we'll see ya at the airport Kid Dimp......Young Thunder.

877520[/snapback]

Shell-E - I just have to ask. So, what have you been wearing if your clothes left 6 days ago?

B)

Every thing is loaded up and getting ready to head out the door in about an hour to head to EOT, Yee Haw.

• 6 months later...
With bp, more is always better.  Like bomb disosal guys always "ain't no problem that an abundant amount of C4 can't take card of".  Bigger bullet can't hurt neither.

875330[/snapback]

I blew up a river once with that C4 stuff,went about 100 ft streight up(we were fishing in vietnam)Never got a fish,too much explosives,collaped their lungs and went to the bottom. :blink:

Archived