SASS Wire Forum

"Can Stop Point Three Hundred and Eight Caliber Ammunition"

I see that frequently in British fiction. One of the Modesty Blaise novels, she's in Panama and the bad guy lays a trap for her with a machine gun, but she pops him between the eyes with a 25 caliber MAB. The local cop says that he will take the credit for shooting the bad guy, and she asks how he's going to explain away "the point two five bullets in  him when you carry a point four five pistol ".

I was reading something just the other day. Talking about the American bombers during World War II and how they were armed with "decimal five zero machine guns".

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

AI generated text to voice 

It can be almost as fun as some of the automatic translation programs.   I  look at a lot of cooking threads on Instagram,  mostly Eastern European.   

2 centuries of torture and a steering wheel with 2 squirrels. 

• Haha 1

Here is an example.  Mind now, this goes along with a video.  It's for making a meat filled hand pie.

По этому рецепту готовит моя Мама и теперь точно буду готовить и я, рецепт очень простой, никакого кипятка, уксуса и соды. Тесто замешиваем тугое и пока оно отдыхает пол часа, можете его пару раз промять.

* кефир 250 г
* яйцо 1 шт
* соль 1 ч.л
* раст.масло 2 ст.л
* мука 300 г
* фарш гов 500 г
* лук 2 шт
* соль по вкусу
* черный, красный перец
* вода 100 мл
* зелень по желанию

And the translation is:
My Mom cooks this recipe and now I will definitely cook too, the recipe is very simple, no boiling, vinegar and baking soda. Mix the tight dough and while it rests for half an hour, you can rinse it a couple of times.

* kefir 250 g
* egg 1 pc
*1 hr of salt l
* growth. oil 2 pcs. l
* 300 years of torture
* minced beef 500 g
* onion 2 pcs
*salt to taste
* black red pepper
* water 100 ml
* greenery optional

You might need to find a new translation program. This is what mine says.

kefir 250 g
 * egg 1 pc
 * salt 1 tsp
 * vegetable oil 2 tbsp
 * flour 300 g
 * gov minced meat 500 g
 * bow 2 pcs
 *salt to taste
 * black, red pepper
 * water 100 ml
 *greens optional

The only thing that's confusing about mine is I need two pieces of bow. Yours says that's an onion.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You might need to find a new translation program. This is what mine says.

kefir 250 g
 * egg 1 pc
 * salt 1 tsp
 * vegetable oil 2 tbsp
 * flour 300 g
 * gov minced meat 500 g
 * bow 2 pcs
 *salt to taste
 * black, red pepper
 * water 100 ml
 *greens optional

The only thing that's confusing about mine is I need two pieces of bow. Yours says that's an onion.

The translation I posted was from the Instagram "See translation" feature.  If I have problems that I can't resolve by watching the video a few times I have a different site that I like.

I just posted the translation to show how interesting they could be.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

I wonder where one would purchase fermented milk.

I bet they don't carry that down at Publix.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I wonder where one would purchase fermented milk.

I bet they don't carry that down at Publix.

Target. Safeway.  Walmart 

Or use buttermilk.

You can also mix yogurt and whole milk in about a 3:1 ratio.  Or even equal parts.  

This is the translation site I use most often.  It usually gives the translation from three different services and has a back translation feature.  https://imtranslator.net/compare/english/to-russian/translation/

When the Instagram translator doesn't do the job I cut and paste into that.  There are still some quirks, but it works most of the time.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’s an acquired taste.

Just like buttermilk and yogurt.  

Posted (edited)

I shoot a half inch minus 1/20" cupro-nickel coated plumber's metal projectile weighing approximately 65% ounce and find it quite suitable on targets 6-7 hands diameter at 1/4 furlong (about 5.5 arshins)

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I shoot a half inch minus 1/20" cupro-nickel coated plumber's metal projectile weighing approximately 65% ounce and find it quite suitable on targets 6-7 hands diameter at 1/4 furlong (about 5.5 arshins)

I think your math is off.  5.5 arshin is only about 8.55 cubits (Biblical).

According to wiki an arshin was decided by Peter the Great to be exactly 28 English inches.

So five and a half would be something like 12, maybe 13 feet.  And with a furlong being 220 yards, a half furlong would be 110, making a quarter furlong being 55 yards, or 50 meters if you prefer, but much further than 13 feet.

But I was more interested in trying to decide what were you shooting that uses a jacketed 285 grain 45 caliber bullet? I thought you were an SAA guy, and I don't shoot jacketed bullets in mine. Plus that seems a wee bit heavy.

Lessee, divide by eleven, carry sixteen subtract 4.5.....

You're right, Alpo.

Bullets are custom Polar Bear Stoppers by Q from Bond, James Bond.  Cost twenty three and fourteen dollars and nine and a half cents a box of 13

Polar Bear Stoppers. I think somebody saw you coming.

I have heard that one of the most popular polar bear stopping guns in the far far far Northwest of America is the Ruger mini-14 in 223 Remington.

That's surprised me when I heard it because I kind of thought that polar bears would be tougher to put down than poodles were.

But I guess it's more about knowing where to put the bullet, than how big the bullet is.