SASS Wire Forum

Restoring a 1914 Bissell

This video shows them making one of those little wrenches.

Early on in the video it says ALL MACHINING DONE WITHOUT COOLANT FOR THE BENEFIT OF VIEWERS. Something like that anyway.

Then as they're machining away all of a sudden the bit turns bright red and then disappears. And a new notice pops up.

THAT'S WHY YOU USE COOLANT

• Like 2

I'd like to have something like That, just because it's cool. 

My dad had a lot of old tools that he restored.  Over the years they vanished one by one.  I have few (VERY few) that I managed to save, a Yankee drill and Yankee screwdriver, a massive block plane, and som lesser stuff.

• Like 1

I remember vacs like this, where the bag was huge and suspended from the handle, similar to the Bissell. I also remember that dust and dirt settled in the bottom 10 percent of the bag and never came close to filling it up, requiring it be emptied frequently.  

image.thumb.jpeg.548cde0a39885fa1b1d22d32ced4020e.jpeg

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

Then as they're machining away all of a sudden the bit turns bright red and then disappears. And a new notice pops up.

Surprising that that keyway cutter made it that far before overheating and breaking. 

My second day on the job at a machine shop I was being trained how to load and run locking blocks (metal injection molded, we milled and reamed the holes to within tolerance) on a pallet in Haas Mini-Mill.  Part of the process was to punch the "Coolant Off" button,  turn a valve from the coolant nozzles to a hose, hit "Coolant On," wash the chips off the parts and pallet, gauge them with the  GO-NO GO pins, remove the parts, hose down the pallet again,  turn the Coolant off, then turn the valve back to the nozzles,  load the pallet, punch the "Coolant On" then punch the GO button.  First 2 went fine.  Third I forgot to turn the Coolant on.  First tool was a .234 end mill.  By the 5th part it was cherry red and the sparks were impressive.   Ruined one end mill and 5 parts.  

There are some tools that are designed to be run without Coolant.   

• Like 1