SASS Wire Forum

Nerds Rule the Skies

Found on FB

"EFFING NASA

titancure:

overlyobsessedfanqueen:

I'm pissing myself.

You know how all of Jupiter's moons are named after his lovers and affairs? Yeah. NASA is sending a craft to check up on Jupiter.

You know what the craft is called?

JUNO.

Who's Juno?

JUPITER'S WIFE.

NASA IS SENDING JUPITER'S WIFE TO CHECK ON JUPITER AND HIS AFFAIRS AND LOVERS.

EFFINF NASA

@nasa y'all are a bunch of nerds"

• Haha 5

I went searching for names. They ran out of lovers and started using names of descendants of Zeus or Jupiter and when they got to Jupiter LIII they named it Dia a lover of Jupiter. 

Some names were given in antiquity. Modern names are assigned by the International Astronomical Union’s Task Group for Outer Solar System Nomenclature.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I went searching for names. They ran out of lovers and started using names of descendants of Zeus or Jupiter and when they got to Jupiter LIII they named it Dia a lover of Jupiter. 

Some names were given in antiquity. Modern names are assigned by the International Astronomical Union’s Task Group for Outer Solar System Nomenclature.

That's nerdy right there, I don't care who you are.  :D:)

• Like 2

im not sure how i feel about the moons - im thinking it might get a little crowded in the night sky for me , specially round harvest time when they are big , but it might keep the grandkids busy for a bit counting and arguing over whats what , 

as far as the nerds being in charge - im good with that , let them name anything they find , its only right , they find it they name it whatever they want for whatever reason they might find relevant , im a fan of the big bang theory TV show - it makes their day to name chit and take credit in weird ways , good on them , 

im really not a stargazer but i appreciate those of you that are , i had no idea there were that many moons involved with a single planet , 

i knew a guy they called many moons , but thats because of some indian thing he had going on , 

i like a blue moon in warm weather or with the right meal , but i just like beer ,