SASS Wire Forum

Need help finding hulls

Ok Pards and Pardettes,

I need a good soure for 10g hulls. My Google fu is strong but everywhere I look is out of stock. I even called a couple of gun clubs that I know sell bags of shelf, no 10g....any leads? I would prefer to stay away from brass.

8 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Ok Pards and Pardettes,

I need a good soure for 10g hulls. My Google fu is strong but everywhere I look is out of stock. I even called a couple of gun clubs that I know sell bags of shelf, no 10g....any leads? I would prefer to stay away from brass.

Are you using them for smokeless or black powder?

For plastic:  https://www.ballisticproducts.com/10-gauge-hulls/products/75/  and https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=13&ga=10 Gauge  both are currently appear out of stock and given the current shortages will probably remain that way.  I believe that the 10 gauge hulls are limited production runs.

If you are going to use the 10 gauge with black powder on anything resembling a regular basis, then brass is a better choice.  In addition to http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/ which uses 209 primers and 10 gauge wads there is also  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/  the hulls are similar to Magtech, take a large pistol primer and you'll need to use 9 gauge wads.  You can also find "antique"  brass 10 gauge hulls at gun shows or maybe ebay & auction sites that take large pistol primers which match the dimensions of the original primer used

Plastic hulls last maybe 3 or 4 loadings before the plastic starts to melt.  Remington hulls are good, Federal hulls don't last and I haven't tried the Cheddite hulls

By coincidence,  son Chris came down last weekend to take advantage of mom's home cooking - biscuits and gravy, etc. Also to hunt for deer sheds. But one of his main reasons was he wanted one of my 10 gauge doubles.  We had talked (text) about it for months.  I took him back to the old gun cabinet and pulled them out one by one and explained model and condition and repairs made.  After he looked them all over he picked out my Remington Whitmore. Probably the best of the lot. When we got down to price, I just gave it to him.  I also gathered up a bag of plastic hulls, ST10 Remington wads.  What he really wanted was brass hulls.  He finally weaseled 10 out of my nest. I told him everything for 10 gauge is 10 times more difficult. Track of the Wolf and Bolistic Products are close to him.

144521232_RemingtonLifterafterwholeMay2020.jpg.80e346845c496a13bee19d19044c37e4.jpg1621430485_RemingtonLifterafteractionMay2020.jpg.bd5f665f44e72ab45547b45fecdf91ea.jpg

5a805dc151d68_10gaugebrasshullsFeb2018.jpg.63e638e39ff37958db82b9565b0b6d6f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I use the brown Federal high brass 3 1/2” shells. I cut ‘em down to where they are 2 7/8” OAL with a roll crimp.

When I get low, I look around and buy a hundred when I find ‘em.

I also have a mixed batch of 25 brass shells and a box of old Winchester high brass paper shells that I haven’t managed to shoot all of yet.

I’ve recently obtained a 10ga adapter kit for use with a Lee Load All.  The first time I used it, I reloaded the paper shells and they came out perfect!

Those Federal hulls hold up pretty well with real Black Powder.  Some of ‘em have been reloaded four or five times with only a slight bit of trimming.