SASS Wire Forum

Howdy! Introduction and Question

Donovan Shoost

It sounds like you are off to a good start.  Mark your calendar and attend the Mason Dixon Stampede at Thurmont.  It's the first weekend in August.  It's a great match.
The annual matches and championship matches are really no different than a monthly match.  You shoot with your posse but there are just more posses.  These matches are great for socializing as they often offer onsite camping, meals and vendors.  

• Like 1

DS, many new shooters start with factory ammo but start reloading to reduce costs and get lower recoiling ammo.  S&B cases are not favored for reloading.  They have tight primer pockets that are difficult to reload.  My Dillon presses often refuse to seat a primer in S&B brass.  Quit buying S&B ammo and buy reloadable ammo.  Fiocchi brass is reloadable.  Do reload your own ammo and start soon.  You will save a bundle and have ammo that feed flawlessly in your rifle.  You can load revolver rounds in Cowboy 45 Special cases favored by many big bore competitors.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

DS, many new shooters start with factory ammo but start reloading to reduce costs and get lower recoiling ammo.  S&B cases are not favored for reloading.  They have tight primer pockets that are difficult to reload.  My Dillon presses often refuse to seat a primer in S&B brass.  Quit buying S&B ammo and buy reloadable ammo.  Fiocchi brass is reloadable.  Do reload your own ammo and start soon.  You will save a bundle and have ammo that feed flawlessly in your rifle.  You can load revolver rounds in Cowboy 45 Special cases favored by many big bore competitors.

Done :D

1 hour ago, Donovan Shoost said:

I wanted to circle back because I experienced what you were warning me about before :rolleyes:

While sighting in today, I loaded 10 .45 LC factory cartridges from S&B, and the first shot got all jammed up trying to cycle, just as you said. I managed to work it into place but it's obviously not something I want to happen.

So I got curious why this happened when I already tested it with a "full magazine" before. I got out my caliper and measured the S&B rounds, and they are on average ~.018" longer than the snap caps I was testing with (my full mag test was with 6 snap caps and 4 live S&B rounds).

I have some other ammo from Fiocchi that I want to try - it's a smidge shorter on average than the snap caps, and I suspect that it will fit and feed ok. That difference in length seemed to accumulate as expected over a full mag of the S&B. Amazing what a difference a hundredth of an inch can make :). I think I'll be ok with the shorter cartridges as long as I find a consistent source (or load my own?).

Anyway, wanted to thank you for looking out (I actually brought a wider array of tools with your words in mind) and give you a chance to say "I told you so" lol.

Hi Donovan.  Some may tell you that the reason the last round loaded jams when at an angle is because Uberti forgot to machine a bevel in the frame, just above and behind the rim, and the angled rim catches on the sharp edge.  I've seen that before and fixed that before by filing the bevel, but that was not the case on my carbine.  The bevel was there, but the rounds are stacked in the tube so tightly with the spring totally compressed, that the action just can't quite overcome that blockage.  You can sort of straighten that round on the carrier through the loading gate but that is a pain,  so I just stuck a little knife blade down inside the carrier opening to straighten the cartridge.  

If you are able to load a shorter bullet, or seat the bullet deeper, that will help a little.  But be careful, loading a bullet deeper means in front of the crimp groove and the bullet might collapse into the case from the magazine spring pressure.  And a shorter bullet usually means a lighter bullet.  Those will work but will increase the fouling blow-by into the action.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Secondly, one caution about loading shorter ammo.  The '73 can a range of ammo lengths, but it's limited to the length of the ramp on the front of the carrier.  I have 3 toggle link Uberti rifles, 2 1873s and an 1860, (same basic action as the '73 in its Uberti incarnation).  Each has a slightly different length to this ramp, and therefor, can accommodate different lengths of ammo.  Using Ammo shorter than the SAMMI length of 1.6" for the 45 Colt will allow a portion of the 2nd to last cartridge loaded in the rifle to protrude into the carrier, as the only thing to stop it is the last cartridge loaded.  As the lever is operated, moving the carrier up, this ramp allows that 2nd to last cartridge to be pushed back into the magazine and out of the carrier mortise.  Finding that minimum length can be the secret to holding cartridges without forcing that last cartridge in to remain twisted on the carrier.  Which usually entails loading your own.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1