SASS Wire Forum

1800s legal question

Alpo

I'm reading about a Confederate Major General, who had a roving eye for the ladies. Small town in Mississippi, and the lady is the fourth wife of a local legislator. Her husband is 25 years older than she is, and is frequently out of town on government business. She's lonely. Enter the general.

As was common in small towns before the invention of the iPod, gossip was the prime enjoyment. So when the husband returns home he hears the gossip, with his friends telling him how well he wears that set of horns. And he sneaks into the house to find his wife and the general "awkwardly snuggly".

Here we are leaving history and stepping into theory. I, the husband, walk into my house and find another man in bed with my wife. I draw  my pistol and shoot the other man between the eyes.

But the other man is the commander of the military forces in my area. What do you suppose would happen?

Would I be hanged for shooting the general?

Or would they let me go because of the unwritten law?

In reality the general begged for the husband not shoot him, and the husband agreed on the condition that the general tell everybody in town that he was a useless scum-sucking cur dog who slept with other men's wives.

I suppose I should have finished reading the article before I asked my question.

Even though the general was supposed to announce his evilness to the town, he did not. So the husband walked into his office one day and shot him in the back of the head. Unwritten law. No charge.

The wife was found out to be pregnant, which really started the gossip going. The doctor divorced her, which was not done back then. They reconciled. I hope for the kid's sake he did not look like the major general.

If he was a doggy, just shoot him and kick her.out!

As I recall Van Dorn was a classic example of the Peter Principle. The farther he advanced in rank the poorer his performance became.  His best work was taking out Grant’s supply depot at Holly Springs which significantly delayed his campaign on the Mississippi. 

Seamus

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

As I recall Van Dorn was a classic example of the Peter Principle. The farther he advanced in rank the poorer his performance became.  His best work was taking out Grant’s supply depot at Holly Springs which significantly delayed his campaign on the Mississippi. 

Seamus

He was a cavalry general who was given infantry commands.  At Elkhorn Tavern he split his forces to try a two pronged attack and for speed left his supply train behind.  Which proved to be a mistake.  

At Second Corinth the troops he inherited were under strength, sick, and lacking provisions.