SASS Wire Forum

Which rolling block is easier to reload

Westbound Reb

My girlfriend’s dad loves old guns. He has several rolling blocks rifles.

Since he likes me, he said I could borrow one for any long range side matches would I prefer the 7 mm rolling block or the 1873 model rolling block

Because I’m in the middle of a move I didn’t exactly look at the rifles very hard I don’t have pictures for anyone

My main question is what is easier which one is easier to reload

Thank you all again. I’ve amazed my younger brother who is a cowboy action shooting expert he keeps asking how are you finding out all this information I’m like I go online and look at YouTube but mostly I come to the sass wire saloon and ask some questions.

Respectfully, and humbly yours

Westbound Reb

If you mean physically loading and unloading the gun while shooting, they are all pretty much the same.  

If you mean which one is easiest to reload ammunition FOR, then the first question is, what do you already load for with regard to rifle cartridges?  

Generically, I'd say it's easier to reload something like .45-70 or .30-40 Krag than .43 Spanish or another "obscure to Americans" cartridge that it can be hard to get brass and/or bullets for.

So, what about 7mm Mauser?  I'd avoid this caliber.  Not because I it's a hard cartridge to reload, but because I have read that the chambers in Rolling Blocks in that caliber tend to be oversized and that the brass will wear out a lot quicker, and may even bulge.  I discovered this when I was considering purchasing one in 7mm and did a little research. (I already reload the caliber.)  

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 6:19 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If you mean physically loading and unloading the gun while shooting, they are all pretty much the same.  

If you mean which one is easiest to reload ammunition FOR, then the first question is, what do you already load for with regard to rifle cartridges?  

Generically, I'd say it's easier to reload something like .45-70 or .30-40 Krag than .43 Spanish or another "obscure to Americans" cartridge that it can be hard to get brass and/or bullets for.

So, what about 7mm Mauser?  I'd avoid this caliber.  Not because I it's a hard cartridge to reload, but because I have read that the chambers in Rolling Blocks in that caliber tend to be oversized and that the brass will wear out a lot quicker, and may even bulge.  I discovered this when I was considering purchasing one in 7mm and did a little research. (I already reload the caliber.)  

Good luck.

The "problem" with the 7 x 57 Mauser in the rolling blocks is that the European standard for the cartridge makes headspacing longer than American.  The solution is to simply fireform with new brass and a lightly lubricated chamber, that will allow the case to back up and the shoulder to expand forward. Then just back the sizing die off until the resized case will just chamber with a little "feel".  If you reload for other 7 x 57mm rifles, you may want to separate the brass fired in other rifles from ones fired in the M1902 rolling blocks.