SASS Wire Forum

PTFE oil additive/engine treatment

:FlagAm: Getting ready to do the spring oil changes on the vehicles.  I am interested in getting feedback from anyone here that has tried or is using such a product.  I currently use       

what is considered a high end synthetic oil and other products from Schaffers.  The Corvette engines and the 8.1L in my Silverado get run pretty hard at times and was    

curious if there would be any added benefit or a negative to the use of a PTFE product.  Currently looking at True Brand by Solid Start out of Florida.

Do not mean to offend, but I am only interested in real life experience, not speculation or what ifs.

Thank you for any replies.

Regards,

Chas B

Edited by Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I own.

We have some customers in our shop that request Royal Purple or Amsoil; (both very good oils as Schaffers is as well {overpriced imo - but very good}).

Most every hi end synthetic oil company states NOT to do add in oil treatments.

If you believe your vehicle is going to be pushed harder than a "normal" street vehicle; there are off road high sheer racing formulas available (from Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.) - which is a better choice than simply adding unknown percentages of matrial via additives.

Go to a racing oil or decrease your change intervals - but generally theres no need for aftermarket consumer additives in a synthetic oil.

• Like 2

I haven’t done my own oil change in years! I bring it to the dealer and they use full synthetic for the last 3 cars I’ve had. That’s what the manufacturer calls for. 

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I own.

We have some customers in our shop that request Royal Purple or Amsoil; (both very good oils as Schaffers is as well {overpriced imo - but very good}).

Most every hi end synthetic oil company states NOT to do add in oil treatments.

If you believe your vehicle is going to be pushed harder than a "normal" street vehicle; there are off road high sheer racing formulas available (from Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.) - which is a better choice than simply adding unknown percentages of matrial via additives.

Go to a racing oil or decrease your change intervals - but generally theres no need for aftermarket consumer additives in a synthetic oil.

I’m a Royal purple guy. Can’t disagree with anything here. If you want to take a deep dive down the rabbit hole go to the website below. Main reason I like RP is because of allot of positive experiences with it at work . But that was years ago and things are constantly changing. I know people treat oil changes like reloading getting the cost right down to the penny but I always figured oil changes are cheaper than replacing a motor, transmission, differential, etc……

If you’re leasing a vehicle or get a new one often I understand following the manufacturer’s schedule and getting the cheapest oil change. But if you want to drive the wheels off of it changing fluids and filters on a regular basis can go a long way. 

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/