SASS Wire Forum

Springfield hellion verses keltech or IWI

All 3 are bull pup 5.56 the Hellion is around 1800 as is the IWI version but the keltech is 1000 new or 899 used locally.  

while an odd rifle to begin with and awkward to hold the concept is intriguing and was curious if the keltech will hold up or is there a reason it is 800 less?

Its my understanding the Keltech wasn't that popular. At one time it was about the only bull pup on the market, but once the IWI Tavor and newer version of the Steyr AUG became available, Keltech sales dropped drastically. I have the SAR version of the Tavor and like it a lot, while not as inherently accurate like an AR, its a lot of fun to shoot. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

All 3 are bull pup 5.56 the Hellion is around 1800 as is the IWI version but the keltech is 1000 new or 899 used locally.  

while an odd rifle to begin with and awkward to hold the concept is intriguing and was curious if the keltech will hold up or is there a reason it is 800 less?

KelTec has its place in the firearms manufacturing market.  I have owned a few over the years and will say that they have all been reliable when fed quality ammo.

That said, I would not risk my life on any KelTec as a primary weapon.  I do not feel they are manufactured to be high-round-count weapons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i have a keltec sub2000 in 9mm that i like , if i were buying one of the 556 versions mentioned id go with the IWI , i had one of their jericos and it was a high quality pistol , my son is shooting  it , 

• Thanks 1

The Tavor originally came to the US as the Tavor SAR and then the X95. 

Not sure the SAR is still available or not, but I preferred the original version.  I liked the magazine release better.  While on the heavier side, the weight was carried in the stock.  I could comfortably hold and support the weapon one handed for much longer than I could an equal weight AR.

I've never shot or even handled a Hellion.

The Tavor and the Hellion are both based on proven combat weapons.  I wouldn't hesitate to put either in my SHTF bag, if I had a SHTF bag.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

KelTec has its place in the firearms manufacturing market.  I have owned a few over the years and will say that they have all been reliable when fed quality ammo.

That said, I would not risk my life on any KelTec as a primary weapon.  I do not feel they are manufactured to be high-round-count weapons.

Agreed.
I haven’t used this particular gun, but the KelTek’s I’ve owned were entirely adequate for low cost plinking and fun. 
If a KelTec was all you could afford to buy, then it’s better than nothing. But it would not be my SHTF gun if at all possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1