SASS Wire Forum

Bond Derringer Gunsmith?

BlackjackBelle

22 minutes ago, BlackjackBelle said:

Looking for recommendations for gunsmiths that specialize in Bond derringers.  Need lighter springs, etc.  

no doubt Jimmy Spurs can/will do you right, but the Bind is pretty simple to work on. Biggest thing is change out the hammer spring (I think the original came from a 58 dodge!) get a SP 101 spring set. Trim spring down to same length as original. Install. Shim with washers until it will reliably fire bottom barrel. 

work on gun inside of a pillow case because you will shoot springs all over the room! I bwm 2 tines of a fork back to make a compression tool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ACP said:

Color me ignorant, what are the common modifications folks like to do on the bonds? 

Reduce trigger pull weight. 

That is easily done by using a cut down 1911 hammer spring.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Reduce trigger pull weight. 

That is easily done by using a cut down 1911 hammer spring.

Good to know, got a couple of those lying around, will have to give it a whirl 

• Like 1

I use stock Ruger 10/22 Hammer springs, they have the same outside diameter the wire diameter is .040 and I cut them down to 1.425 to 1.430 in length I have put them in a few Bonds and they have had to problems with F.T.F.  and they give you a very nice Hammer cock and trigger pull . I had a supply of the springs from working on friends 10/22's V.D.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I use stock Ruger 10/22 Hammer springs, they have the same outside diameter the wire diameter is .040 and I cut them down to 1.425 to 1.430 in length I have put them in a few Bonds and they have had to problems with F.T.F.  and they give you a very nice Hammer cock and trigger pull . I had a supply of the springs from working on friends 10/22's V.D.

G'day @Von Dutch, SASS # 7995

How hard is it to take a Bond Derringer apart and replace the spring?

Is this spring suitable?

https://www.fisherfirearms.com.au/category/parts/all-parts-by-brand/ruger/ruger-1022-hammer-spring

On 12/30/2023 at 3:52 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

G'day @Von Dutch, SASS # 7995

How hard is it to take a Bond Derringer apart and replace the spring?

Is this spring suitable?

https://www.fisherfirearms.com.au/category/parts/all-parts-by-brand/ruger/ruger-1022-hammer-spring

Just take off the grips drive out the hammer pin move the hammer up take the strut and spring assembly out, reverse for reassembly. The factory 10/22 spring part # is B-44 Brownells sells them for $ 8.99 Brownells part # is 780010030. The spring I cut down were used already so they had spring set if you use a new one you need to add some to the length. Ask here on the wire there are cowboy shooters that have tricked up the 10/22's and I'm sure they have some stock springs setting around? I had four but they're gone. 

Edited by Von Dutch, SASS # 7995
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Just take off the grips drive out the hammer pin move the hammer up take the strut and spring assembly reverse the reassembly. The factory 10/22 spring part # is B-44 Brownells sells them for $ 8.99 Brownells part # is 780010030. The spring I cut down were used already so they had spring set if you use a new one you need to add some to the length. Ask here on the wire there are cowboy shooters that have tricked up the 10/22's and I'm sure they have some stock springs setting around? I had four but they're gone. 

Thanks Von Dutch, appreciated mate.