SASS Wire Forum

Smith and Wesson Pocket Pistol

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I found a very nice S&W pocket pistol today.  I purchased it from a local gunsmith who said it's in almost like new condition from a mechanical standpoint.   It looks like a scaled down version of the Model 3 DA, and is chambered in .32 S&W.  (It's a 5 shot.)

I believe it's a "Fourth Model" pocket pistol, and the serial number is in the 216xxx range.  I plan to letter it, I know that will give me the best information, but I figured that maybe one or two of the pards here who know more about S&W's than I do can at least confirm what the model is before I send in a vague letter request. :)

Here's a pic...

SWPocket.thumb.jpg.62e6dc283abec6ed58fd9f8a479fabc0.jpg

The smith I got it from said he got it from someone who inherited it from his grandfather who didn't want it, or even know what it was.   He doesn't think it's been fired in decades, and probably not much at all in general.  It apparently has been sitting in a drawer for a very long time.

Is my guess at it being a Fourth Model close to the mark?

FWIW, the gunsmith has done a lot of work for me over the years.  Most recently he converted a .32RF Rolling Block to centerfire, for example.   If you are looking for a gunsmith here in New England who can do good work on old guns like we shoot, I recommend him.

https://www.rustbluing.com/  Is his website.

"Is my guess at it being a Fourth Model close to the mark?"

My book says you are correct.

10 minutes ago, Cholla said:

"Is my guess at it being a Fourth Model close to the mark?"

My book says you are correct.

Thanks, Cholla.   

I'll be sending off the letter request come Tuesday.  :)

Now this of course, creates a conundrum.   I have some full size model 3's   Now I have this miniature pocket pistol version of one.   Does this mean I have to find and obtain one of those pistols that is smaller than the 3, but larger than this pocket model, but still has basic same design?  

Variations on a theme can be fun.

Only shoot BP or BP sub like APP in it. 

The good old S&W are a lot better built then all of the other off brand pocket pistols. 

Looks like a nice buy .

Archived