SASS Wire Forum

Brewster Buffalo

Subdeacon Joe

"Before this Finnish Air Force Brewster Buffalo emerged from a muddy lake in the Soviet Union, the only way to see one of these aircraft was in photos. In June 1942, the Buffalo's pilot shot down two Hawker Hurricanes before the tables were turned. With his Wright Cyclone engine on fire, he crash-landed in the lake and swam to shore. Fifty-six years later, the aircraft was raised from its watery tomb; it now resides in the Aviation Museum of Central Finland."

FB_IMG_1702924764043.thumb.jpg.50cfcf62ecf97712477d5ce1ba2c6896.jpg

The F2A-1 and F2A-2 were decent enough planes by pre-war standards.  As WWII went on in Europe it was found that a "modern" fighter needed armor plate,  self -sealing fuel tanks and at least .50 caliber machine guns to be effective.  These were all added to the F2A-3 and weight of all these additions turned the Buffalo into a fairly poor aircraft.  Faced by the well trained Japanese pilots in a faster, more maneuverable plane, the F2A-3 was badly outclassed.

The Finnish Air Force flew the modified F2A-1's with great success, achieving a 33-1 kill-loss ratio against the poorly trained and equipped Russian Air Force

Strange to see the Swastika on the fuselage of a US produced aircraft, but I guess the Finns ended up allied with the Nazi's because of the Russian invasion of their country and the political climate, ability and logistics of getting Ally Material to them, to hold off the Russian invaders.

Strange and unfortunate situation.

A case of "The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend!" as said by Winston Churchill. 

12 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Strange to see the Swastika on the fuselage of a US produced aircraft, but I guess the Finns ended up allied with the Nazi's because of the Russian invasion of their country and the political climate, ability and logistics of getting Ally Material to them, to hold off the Russian invaders.

Strange and unfortunate situation.

A case of "The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend!" as said by Winston Churchill. 

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2018/0910/Finland-used-the-swastika-before-the-Nazis.-Why-do-they-still

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Of the Brewster Buffalos sent up to intercept Japanese Zeros at the Battle of Midway, I don't think any of them got back. :(

13 of 20 made it back:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_F2A_Buffalo#U.S._Marine_Corps  I think they were all damaged badly enough that they were scrapped.

The Marines were flying the F2A-3 version, which had all of the flaws I mentioned above, most of the pilots were fresh from training, we had not developed the tactics to fight the Zero and Western intelligence badly underestimate the capabilities of the Japanese pilots and their equipment.

Archived