SASS Wire Forum

Replacement hammer for Taylor running iron

Coot

So I'd really like to change out the hammer for my taylors/uberti running iron with an old model uberti cattleman 1 hammer, the fixed firing pin style. That said, I love the lower flat hammer of the running iron. Is there any hammer i could replace that has fixed non retractable firing pin and also the low flat hammer style?

have you considered just fixing the firing pin in place?  I think I've seen a couple of *fixes* on this forum to pin the rod in place that operates the safety so it is always fixed in place.   I would assume that once it is pinned in place that will reduce some tension/drag on trigger and action.   Once you start replacing parts on your running iron you're basically undoing all the work to tune that action and starting over.    Maybe a couple of the action gunsmiths like Griner?  have a solution.   

Are you trying to smooth the action or just reduce the possibility of a light strike / failure to fire?  or both?  or...?

• Like 1

I relaced my Uberti hammers with Pietta low profile hammers.Or rather Ken Griner did.

Largo

• 3 months later...

Remove the drift pin holding the safety pin? in place. Take out the safety pin, turn it 180 degrees and mark it where the drift pin hole is. Then file a notch in the the safety pin so that when reinstalled the drift pin will hold  it in place.  Now the firing pin is locked in place. And it is reversible to return it to it's original configuration. Worked for me. Just be judicious in filing the safety pin to make sure it is held up as high as possible.

• Thanks 1

I wasn’t aware that a Pietta hammer would fit a Uberti revolver.

I have Alchimista low hammers installed in my Pietta revolvers.  I like the profile of the Run-n-Iron hammers better.  That’s just me.