SASS Wire Forum

FS: Hand Built Sharps .45-120 SPF!!!

Iron Monger Jimmy

Howdy!

The time has come to lighten up the gunsafe, I have a highwall coming in so I need the room.  So.. Here is a very nice hand built Sharps rifle. This rifle has a bit of history behind it. A dear friend/associate and fellow master smith of mine, Mr Bill Bagwell and I built this. I got the action from him waaaay back when we were both doing the Soldier of Fortune convention in Las Vegas in the  late 1980's..we would visit and make all sorts of comments about various things, but mostly we would talk black powder cartridge rifles..He favoured the .45-90... I am fond of the .45-120.. A lot of folks found Mr Bagwell to be a bit "ornery" and maybe a tad cantankerous.. I didn't....I found him a man of passions in his beliefs.  Anyway a lot of us old time hammer heads tend to be that way....myself included...He got the actions for the rifles he built from a fellow up in Cape Giraudoux, MO I do believe..My memory isn't as good as it once was ..but it  is one of those actions. 

Onto the rifle..It is a real "looker"

DSC08656A.jpg.2955fd5db46110bc68169cc6a9029208.jpg

The actions is colour case hardened with double set triggers. 100% CC..no fading..DSC08657A.jpg.705470f6a0192830b8339cceadeb40dc.jpgDSC08662A.jpg.0f115c75452e6ed3514a3618b8d9df7a.jpgDSC08665A.jpg.713f2282f50e377e114a3b921a40c631.jpg

The barrel is a full bull barrel by Douglas, 34" in length with a mirror bright bore.. It is throated for paper patched bullets but cast works just was well.. It has a globe front sight with windage and spirit level. There is no rear sight and the muzzle is cut for a false muzzle (for cleaning and separate bullet loading if you wish to go that route).. which I never got the time to make..easy enough if you have a lathe.. There is no rear sight on the barrel.... There is a vernier tang sight..

DSC08672A.jpg.edfee11ef7e607653f36b43671d53fbb.jpgDSC08673A.jpg.d1d2652b876a7a5a37aeac6e94834764.jpgDSC08674A.jpg.04389e9c864037c092a976f7e5847103.jpg

The pistol grip cap is a very  nice piece of pattern welded steel. Something we just did  because we wanted to. Makes it a bit more unique..

DSC08676A.jpg.7a8c1a32f4c1323fefdc2938f5888e41.jpg

The stock is Bastogne walnut and it is not checkered. I was going to have it done but for some reason I just never sent it out to a stock maker.

DSC08660A.jpg.e006c77ff80b83ec463a5b2f134e218f.jpg

All in all this is a gorgeous rifle. It needs to go to someone who can appreciate it and will shoot it! I will even include a 3 piece  RCBS die  set to go with it.

SOLD!!  THANK YOU!!

If anyone has any questions..want more photos or anything please let me know.  I am in Spring Hill, FL if anyone is close to here that would like to acquire this...FTF.

Thank ya all kindly

T.O. Curly Jim

SASS#5115

Spiritmaker:  

Methinks the reason why it is still available is the chambering... .45 -120 3 1/4" SS is not what I would call a common chamberng like .45-70. Gov't is.. The cases can be a bit pricey..the last time I looked they were $3.00 plus change American.....each.. That is why I am throwing in a die set and a box of 20 cases.

The barrel still needs to be broken in....it is a very NICE rifle..

TO Curly Jim 

SASS#5115

I agree, the caliber is holding it back but still one heck of a deal. If I didn't have a 1876 Winchester on the way , that would be.

Good luck

Personally,  i think the caliber gives it a cool factor, how many 45-120 shooters you know? I want one cause it's a big dog and I don't have one,lol...and this sure is a nice one!!

Howdy!

Yeah...folks don't understand that loading a .45/120 is not all that different from the shorter .45/70..It's basically just a bit more powder. The  load column is just a bit taller but basically the same.  Same primers, same bullets..just a longer case and more powder. The use of a drop tube on this one is required for any sort of uniformity in load performance.

It does get folk's attention when it goes off.. And well..the recoil isn't as bad as people believe...Just a good, solid push..Not as jumpy as say a .30-1906 Gov't or a  heavy load 12 ga...  I will admit it is a chambering that is interesting to shoot and while it does throw a big piece of lead..it can reach out there..

T.O Curly Jim

SASS#5115

Uriah:

Dang right!! Now  I am not a small, dainty man...6'2 tall 295 lbs...56" chest..18" biceps...forearms like Popeye..Most days I swing an 8 pound hammer  standing in front of a 3000 degree forge...No visible neck..and I shudder at the thought as to how one of those crescent  butt plates would feel on this one.. Yessir I might be a tad demented but I ain't that crazy...

Some of those schutzen rifles, with those really deep butt plates just look "evil" to shoot...Well maybe they work for someone smaller than me but  as far as yours truly...no way...

T.O. Curly Jim

SASS#5115

Howdy!!

For those following this thread I have an alias change.  It is now Iron Monger Jimmy.. Don't have any curls any more so has to change...Now if I have to do something radical to change my alias on here to the  new one I will repost this rifle.....

Thank ya all kindly..

Iron Monger Jimmy

SASS#5115

I knew Bill for a pretty long time and can attest to him telling exactly what was on his mind!  I still can not believe that he passed when getting ready to come homee from rehab.  Miss him being around to talk about Sharps Rifles and black powder cartridge guns in general.  The history of the Bowie Knife and its' use were also favorite topics.  He was so full of knowledge!  He is missed!  I am sure that this rifle is well worth the money.  Curly Jim, is there anything that you might want to trade for that rifle?  I have seen some of the rifles that Bill built and the actions are really nice.

Red: PM sent...

Yeah...Bill and I would get into some deep discussions in regards to BPCRs..he was a character ..bigger than life..He took me aside way back when I applied for my Master's paperwork and told me not to as he was leaving due to the way things were changing...I took him at his word (never had any reason to doubt him) and didn't apply...Never regretted  following his advice...

He loved the Bowie...His Hell's Belle knives were very...,VERY nice knives.... He had that knife column in Soldier of Fortune magazine as well..... His passing hit me sudden. Well,  as time passes the guard changes and as the old pass on the young come up...

So this here Sharps was a lot of fun to build...we took our  time to put it together and I think it shows in the end result.

Thank ya kindly..

Iron Monger Jimmy

SASS#5115

Archived