SASS Wire Forum

Shout Out to Shotgun Boogie!

Rancho Roy

A number of years ago I decided to move from 38-40 to 38spl. I bought a used Codymatic 1873 that ran beautifully. Until a month or so ago. I started to have issues with the  "lip" on the bottom of the bolt's face. Somehow, it would bend down and then drag on the hole the bolt retracks into in the receiver. I'd take the gun apart, bend it back, and it would be fine for a match or two. But it would bend again and after a few "bends" it finally  broke off. I took the bolt into my machine shop and milled a slot into the bottom and silver soldered a new lip in place....Worked great for a couple club matches but then THIS  'lip" broke off. It seems there was a bit of wear in the receiver hole the bolt retracks into and the bolt could move up and down a few thousands. Wear in this area is to be expected after 10s of thousands of rounds. And being near 20 years old, the extractor had work hardened. Both of these caused the bolt to be pulled upwards as a cartridge was being fed into the chamber, and the lip would slam into the rim at the bottom of the cartridge, bending it and ultimately breaking it off...(Interesting to note that the 45 and 38-40/44-40 rifles have a milled slot in the receiver and a boss on the bottom of the lip making it MUCH stronger and  more reliable....Don't understand why the 38/357 doesn't have this feature)...Anyways, talking to Boogie he suggested that I order one of his modified bolts with a replaceable lip, but more importantly, a spring loaded extractor. In fact, he sent me one even before I sent him any funds! The Cowboy way?

I installed it a couple days ago. Needed a very little bit of filling on the nose of the bolt to fit the carrier. Easily done.

Took it to the range to try out and it is amazing how much better the rifle feels. Before I could feel a little bit of hesitation as the extractor tried to bend and snap over the rim of the cartridge. This little hesitation is gone. The rife is now smooth as a babies........ Youknow, the thing.....

The workmanship and machining is second to none. And the price is just about the same as buying a factory bolt....But WAY more BETTAH! Sure, I could have just replaced the extractor and that might have solved the issue, temporarily......But Boogies design is just a much better mouse trap...

I hope this helps others shooting a 1873.1866 in 38/357.....

Be safe out there!

3 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

How did you get the bolt?  His site has shown, out of stock for months. 

Are they available now?

I guess they are back in stock?

It is best to call him. He doesn't always update the web page. I also have to give him a bunch of credit for his tuneup of the 73. I had my Cody-matic overhauled with a complete Boogie tuneup. It was so smooth and I liked how it shot so much I ended up buying one of his new tuned up rifles so I now have 2. They are so different than any of the others I have shot. You won't go wrong with one of his tune ups.

TM

I was a new customer and sent in two orders over the past month or so. What a great guy to deal with! I couldn't believe how fast he processed and shipped my orders. He's definetly my new go to guy for parts.

Archived