SASS Wire Forum

pourable foam in wood

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Looking for advice on using a pourable foam in a small wooden box.  I want to know if I can use this to make a formed liner if I wrap the item and properly locate it with wood blocks without having to worry about damage to either the box or the item ( a pistol with plastic grips) being fitted.

I've never seen this done and haven't found any info on line.

Thanks.  That's about the same thing I've been getting.  I'd like to get a response from someone who has done this and the results.

Guess I'll try it on something really inexpensive so if it doesn't work I wont damage a real gun.

You could try this. This is how I shadowed my toolbox at the hanger. You put down the foam, lay your tool - or in this case your pistol - on top of the foam and trace around it with a sharpie.

Remove the gun, take your exacto knife and start removing everything inside the lines. Once you have it down deep enough, get your soldering iron and go over it, which melts the foam and smooths it.

USFirearmsSAA38WCF.jpeg.3a5c25fc0fc65974f4e88a39abb8e9e2.jpeg

Foam seems to degrade over time as well, so cover it with felt or similar.

I have a Plano hard case that I used for Bullseye many moons back. It had a nice black cuttable foam in the box bottom and egg crate foam in the top with the pressure relief valve on the outside. It worked great for my pistol and ammo. It sat for several years in the attic of my garage, empty thank goodness. When I opened it to see if I had left anything in it, the foam was a gooey sticky mess. Maybe from being so hot in the summer and frozen in winter. I don't know, but sure glad nothing of value had been left in it. It was originally made for test equipment like meters etc.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Foam seems to degrade over time as well, so cover it with felt or similar.

I have a Plano hard case that I used for Bullseye many moons back. It had a nice black cuttable foam in the box bottom and egg crate foam in the top with the pressure relief valve on the outside. It worked great for my pistol and ammo. It sat for several years in the attic of my garage, empty thank goodness. When I opened it to see if I had left anything in it, the foam was a gooey sticky mess. Maybe from being so hot in the summer and frozen in winter. I don't know, but sure glad nothing of value had been left in it. It was originally made for test equipment like meters etc.

Be cautious with foam and fine cameras as well.  I've seen some disasters.

There must be something that would work. I've received items that were packed in a formed foam with clear plastic over and around the foam like it was poured or sprayed. So maybe plastic with velvet over that.

It can be done and look great. However, the secret is knowing the exact amount of foam to use. Too much or too little and you will not like the results.

I have done like Alpo for many of my gun cases. After cutting out the desired shape I cover everything with wool trade cloth.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

You could try this. This is how I shadowed my toolbox at the hanger. You put down the foam, lay your tool - or in this case your pistol - on top of the foam and trace around it with a sharpie.

Remove the gun, take your exacto knife and start removing everything inside the lines. Once you have it down deep enough, get your soldering iron and go over it, which melts the foam and smooths it.

USFirearmsSAA38WCF.jpeg.3a5c25fc0fc65974f4e88a39abb8e9e2.jpeg

That's what I started with but I' not enough of a craftsman to make it work as well as I'd like.  I have a wonderful walnut box that I bought and finished almost 22 years ago and have been fiddling with ever since.  It's time to get'er done.  So far it's gorgeous and will be a prize to look at....as long as I don't open the lid.

Archived