SASS Wire Forum

Auto ordnance verses inland brand carbine

Trigger Mike

The auto ordnance m1 carbine is a good rifle. The one I had was reliable and fairly accurate for that round.   

I miss it sometimes.

a local store has the inland brand .  The new version, not the surplus version.  How do they compare?

I had an Inland. It was a nice M1 Carbine. It wasn’t as accurate as my Underwood. One day the ear snapped off the bolt. The Inland had a Saginaw bolt. I found an Underwood bolt in excellent condition and installed it in the Inland, It was more accurate than my Underwood after that. The Saginaw bolt was very worn. 

Anyway, if I were looking for an M1 Carbine I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Inland. 

I initially had a lot of feeding issues with my new Inland. After cleaning off some burrs on the mags and putting several hundred rounds through it, it settled down. Very accurate if I do my part. It likes my reloads better than Armscor. My OAL is consistent. Armscor is not. 

Cheesy stock like a new Daisy BB gun. I stripped and refinished it to a darker hue. Nice looking now. 

Wait, are these the new Inland’s? My apologies. I had an old Inland. I think it was made in 1945 and overhauled in the 50’s. 

I've not handled and Inland, but the new Kahr owned Auto Ordnance ones are nice.

They sure are pricey.  I think I gave about $15.00 for my first one in 1957 or so.  Had about a dozen 30 round "banana clips", too.

Our high school ROTC had Garands, M-1 catbines, 1911s, Browning .30 light machine guns, and M1- and M3-3Aq smgs, as well as two 12 gauge shotguns.  We also had High Standard .22 target pistols and Winchester bolt action. 22 target rifles, but they were reserved for the elite target shooters.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the 60 and 81 mm mortars and a 2.75 (?) inch and a larger (3.5?)"bazookas" and a 57mm (?) recoilless rifle. 

Seniors could check out the rifles, carbine, and pistols on Friday, and get a box of ammo.  Had to come in early on Monday and clean then, get them approved by Sgt. Sato, and still make home room.

You know what?  We had all of these fully functional (except for the fully auto guns) guns in our hands almost daily, some with bayonets, and no one in our community ever got killed by one.

Archived