SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli Sharps Firing Pin length

La Sombra

The other day I was getting light strikes on primers while shooting my Pedersoli Sharps Sporting. First time. I believe that I might have performed a bris on the firing pin (nipped the tip. Thank you Rabbi Tuckerman.). Does anyone know the correct length of the firing pin? Google has not been very helpful.

Thanks

La Sombra

(And yes while this is apart, I am doing a detailed cleaning of the firing block.)

1 hour ago, La Sombra said:

OLG,

With my cellphone.

La Sombra

image.jpeg

Looks normal. 

Do you put the hammer on 1/2 cock before lowering the lever? You should.

Take the lockwork out and check the hammer spring over.

I do put the hammer at half cock. 
Thanks for the idea about the hammer spring.

La Sombra

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Keep us updated. 

What's the details of your load?

CCI LRMagnumP 60 grains 2FF Shutzen, with a 525 grain FN Postel. Prior to the CCI, I was using Federal LRP. (All the Federals went BOOM.)

@Sedalia Davewas kind enough to measure his firing pin. His measured .433.

As a precaution and for future needs, I have ordered 2 new firing pins and springs from VTI. Can't be too prepared.

La Sombra

38 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

CCI LRMagnumP 60 grains 2FF Shutzen, with a 525 grain FN Postel. Prior to the CCI, I was using Federal LRP. (All the Federals went BOOM.)

@Sedalia Davewas kind enough to measure his firing pin. His measured .433.

As a precaution and for future needs, I have ordered 2 new firing pins and springs from VTI. Can't be too prepared.

La Sombra

Got a feeling it may well be the hammer V spring.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Got a feeling it may well be the hammer V spring.

Right now, I am hoping that it is not. The usual Pedersoli parts folks have none in stock.

Doing a deep Google dive to find one.

La Sombra

Did you give those rounds a second hammer drop to see if they fired?  Any chance those CCI mag LR primers weren't seated fully?  

Did you check with Cimarron for the spring?  They carry Pedersoli parts but might be out.  I'm also curious if a main spring from another brand might be the same?  I guess that would be a question for people with a lot more experience with these.

@Abilene, SASS # 27489, they fired fine in another rifle. Also no bueno at Cimarron. Robert says Hi. I can order one directly from Pedersoli, but I am holding off. VTI hopes to get some in this quarters shipment.

So after a good solid cleaning of the firing pin and the block, I reassembled the rifle and successfully touched off two primers. Guess I need to add clean the firing block to a regular cleaning.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

La Sombra

Archived