SASS Wire Forum

"He never played me false until he killed me."

I just finished reading a really great book that I'd never read before: True Grit, by Charles Portis. Only 190 pages.

I'm sure many pards have read it and I'll bet many haven't, who also, like me, have seen the movies many times. It fell to hand when I was going through some boxes so I figured I'd read it at last.

All of the main elements of the story are in the Coen Bros movies, as well as the language, dialogue, and tone. But the book has several other incidents, and also conversations which fill out the character of Cogburn and his history in particular.

Portis is wry, dry, and spare. The book is entirely in Mattie's voice. So many great lines not in the films. The one above is when Moon is dying after being stabbed by Quincy in the harrowing scene in the dugout, when Rooster  tells him not to look for Quincy in the streets of Glory. As he's dying, Moon says: "Quincy was always square with me. He never played me false until he killed me."

Chaney hits Mattie in the back of the head; she thinks she's been shot: "The blow made me see stars and I concluded I was shot, not knowing the sensation of a bullet striking your head."

Here's one for us Western gun purists: "[Rooster] got out his revolver and put a cartridge into the one chamber that he kept empty under the hammer. The same shells fit his pistol and rifle alike. I thought you had to have different kinds".

Lots of great stuff. And who could resist the opening sentence: "People do not give it credence that a fourteen-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day."

8 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Here's one for us Western gun purists: "[Rooster] got out his revolver and put a cartridge into the one chamber that he kept empty under the hammer. The same shells fit his pistol and rifle alike. I thought you had to have different kinds".

He either had a .44-40 or .38-40B)

Or possibly recoil bothered him, and he had 32/20s.

Or maybe he's one of them people that refuse to update to the newest thing. The Single Action Army was made - not a whole lot but it was made - in 44 Henry rimfire. So maybe he had one of them to go with his 1860 Henry or 1866 Winchester. Might even have had a 44 cap and ball converted to 44 Henry rimfire, to go with his 1860 or 1866.

:P Neener neener neener :P

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Or possibly recoil bothered him, and he had 32/20s.

Or maybe he's one of them people that refuse to update to the newest thing. The Single Action Army was made - not a whole lot but it was made - in 44 Henry rimfire. So maybe he had one of them to go with his 1860 Henry or 1866 Winchester. Might even have had a 44 cap and ball converted to 44 Henry rimfire, to go with his 1860 or 1866.

:P Neener neener neener :P

True that he could have had anyone of those but the .44/40 and .38-40 were the mot popular thats why I just mentioned those. I should have known someone would come up with all kinds of alternatives. :o:lol:

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Don't think so. 

Chaney had a Henry and at one point while they are tracking him they find .44 Henry rimfire shells and figure he's been there.

Archived