SASS Wire Forum

The Dallas Air Show disaster

The disaster left 6 people dead, one I knew. 

Last night I received an E Mail directing me to a You Tube video and an interpretation on what may have happened, but final decision and outcome would be decided by the officials after reviewing all available pictures and videos forwarded to them by many amateur photographers also and communication of tower and from cockpits.

In a way having flown these parade routes were we always kept a safe distance, followed altitude, speed, and corrections from the ground and each other by radio, it still stuns me what happened and loss of an acquaintance. Its not the loss of the planes, but rather of lives that hits the hardest, 

This is the video I was directed to take a look at and maybe not for everyone. It seems human error. Maybe the planning of the parade route should have been wider and allowed for deviation, or error in following set pattern, and maybe just maybe a malfunction in controls. I'll wait for the final outcome. This is the 2nd disaster in which I knew crewman involved and lost their lives.

Yes it was horrible. I too lost someone I knew. (Terry) I had met him in June this year, with a bunch of the other crew for Texas Raiders when I was part of their pre-flight team (turning props), when it was local to me.

Not to speculate, but I saw a youtube video of a guy that "says" he was listening to the radio traffic. He says the Air Boss told the KingCobra to overtake the B-17.

1 hour ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Yes it was horrible. I too lost someone I knew. (Terry) I had met him in June this year, with a bunch of the other crew for Texas Raiders when I was part of their pre-flight team (turning props), when it was local to me.

Not to speculate, but I saw a youtube video of a guy that "says" he was listening to the radio traffic. He says the Air Boss told the KingCobra to overtake the B-17.

Then that would have to be a complete visual maneuver. Looking at several views, I don't see that and if he was told that, would be violating the pre-planned flight plan laid out in the parade plan involving again speed, and altitude. This is were safety is built in. Follow the plan, which keeps distance and altitude apart from each other in the circular pattern and strict adherence to speed. Only in an emergency would this be broken, and then with communication. Its why the Blue Angles are meticulous in pre planning and constant communication and maintain speed and altitude assigned for each maneuver. 

Someone was not adhering to preplanned maneuvers, why? 

5 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Then that would have to be a complete visual maneuver. Looking at several views, I don't see that and if he was told that, would be violating the pre-planned flight plan laid out in the parade plan involving again speed, and altitude. This is were safety is built in. Follow the plan, which keeps distance and altitude apart from each other in the circular pattern and strict adherence to speed. Only in an emergency would this be broken, and then with communication. Its why the Blue Angles are meticulous in pre planning and constant communication and maintain speed and altitude assigned for each maneuver. 

Someone was not adhering to preplanned maneuvers, why? 

If what this “guy” said he “heard”is true, the only response is, tell me and we’ll both know. 

The B-17 was doing a typical straight, low alititude, low speed presentation.  The KingCobra was at a higher speed, and descending, and appeared to be turning to a parallel course. 

As you note, these things are pre-planned out. Location , direction, speed, altitude and at specific times.  

There are several thing's I see I don't like.  The arc of the turn by the P63 and were he starts and altitude. and the slight dip of left wing of the B17G.  But the altitude of the fighters, and those behind and in front should be higher. We never flew that close to each other in 2 separate curves. I'm really surprised the P63 Pilot didn't have a visual of the B17 as he started his turn, which also seems late. But then I don't know what his position in the Parade was. One thing you also always maintained or sought high altitude and was given clearance or waive off to continue and if continued would be given instructions by Tower and fellow pilots when it was safe to get into formation again. But the turn, late, and a drop in altitude is unacceptable as well altitude and clearances for each warplane was just to close in a side by side parade. I would not fly such, except in a straight line and when turns came, each would turn away from each plane and not together, especially at an air show at low altitude leaving little leeway.

Again interviewing all the pilots and any recordings voice and video will maybe show what the cause was. But it was no doubt someone's fault and not a mechanical problem.

Should be Could be Would be Maybe.  Thats bull pucky.  Good people died.  Something broke or someone made a mistake, humans make mistakes machines fail.  I give my heart felt prayers to those who died and their families.

Archived