SASS Wire Forum

Aviation Flight Manuals

Chantry

For those of you interested, you can buy aviation flight manuals here: https://www.flight-manuals-online.com/

It's a PDF download, there are hundreds of manuals and most seem to be $9.99 (US)

I bought the SR-71, DC-3/C-47 V6, Fairey Swordfish and the Ford Tri-Motor

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Got to go for a ride in a Ford tri motor out in Oshkosh, way fun.

I've ridden in a Tri-Motor too, EAA did a country wide tour with 2 Tri-Motors and I was able to get a 20 minute ride in one at the Danbury airport in 2013.  Very interesting and in a lot of respects far preferable than being crammed into coach on a modern airliner.  I'm a bit too large to fit comfortably in coach.

I had a ticket to fly as co pilot, but as we boarded, an older than me gentleman asked if he could buy my ticket as he was previously qualified to fly it. I let him. He was a big boy, had to squeeze sideways to get up the couple stairs! The pilot let him fly us around for a while. He did a good job. I loved the fire extinguishers they drag out when they start the engines! Reminded me of an old Harley with the oil and gas running down the engine. :)

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

A former crew member on a P-3 Orion gave me a NATOPS pilots manual. It’s the size of a phone book and about 3” thick. 

Did he tell you how long it took him to memorize it?

22 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Did he tell you how long it took him to memorize it?

He didn’t need to. He was one of the crew members in the back monitoring his ASW equipment. 

by comparison, my T-34 manual is about 3/8” thick. Nonetheless, the presentation in the manuals is the same. If you can understand one, you can understand the other. Same with an F-51 reproduction manual I have. 

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

He didn’t need to. He was one of the crew members in the back monitoring his ASW equipment. 

IIRC there is a version of NATOPS for the back end crews as well. They have to memorize all the "Bold Face" emergency procedures.

I’m sure there is, including using hatchets and hammers on the equipment like that VQ-1 crew did after the collision with a Chinese jet back in 2001. Man, those pilots and crew had their hands full and did an amazing job!

I called the squadron some weeks later to share a similar story that happened when dad was a pilot with VQ-1 in 1959. I was looking for their public affairs officer, but got the exec instead. He was unaware of that bit of history so I sent copies of photos and stuff I have. A week or so later, a surprise package arrived containing a squadron ball cap that I’m proud to own. 

I have re-prints of the flight manual for the P-47 (Covers the , C, D & G models) which is 50 pages long and the flight manual for the PBY-5A is 98 pages long and includes the flight engineer's role & responsibilities.

I wonder how many pages a B-2 or F-22 flight manual is.

Archived