SASS Wire Forum

Two sad occurences in one day

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

1.  A very good friend that I have only known for three short years passed away this morning, a victim of brain cancer which took him away after  four months from its diagnosis.

Mike was a Seabee, and very proud of his service, but he never really talked about it.  He was one of the most generous and caring people I ever met and he is much missed already.  A good sized group of his friends will see to it that his wife gets along as best we can.

2.  On a trip to town for groceries and some other errands brought something to my attention:  the zombie apocalypse is upon us.  In several hours I noticed how many people walk around with no expressions on their faces, not alight of life in their eyes, dragging around with no spring in their step, and no apparent evidence that they are aware of anything around them.   It's as though they are poor automatons, images of people with no souls and no excitement that would indicate that they are truly alive.  They respond without appearing to have any interest in what they are responding to, like they don't realize what is going on around them. Fatigue and disinterest are their only visible responses to anything.

It's bad enough when some of these people are elderly, ill, of crippled, but many are much too young to be reacting in this way, some even children mimicking their parents' and other older people's movements.

It makes those who don't have these actions, but act as though they are really alive, come across as wonderfully animated and aware, and frankly, a genuine pleasure to be around.

Our local library is a vibrant and active place that I treasure because of the little kids reading and playing board game, selecting their own books and reading them to each other or acting out parts from the stories.

I try to speak to them and ask them about their day.  At first I got some frankly frightened looks from parents but after a few tears I have some who tell their young ones to "go show Mister Taylor what you found today.

So.......how was your day?

I try to be one of the more animated people who talks to people I don't even know. My kids say it is weird and I talk too much. But many times I end up learning something, as everyone has something to contribute to a conversation if they try.

I try to encourage, enlighten, and entertain.  It confuses and frustrates many of the sour and dour individuals that I encounter and amuses me!!

Yes. The last threee years of pandemic policies has left their mark. Yes. The damage to our children is real. And adults too. Here in AZ things are just about normal, "the current thing" is slowly dying of it's own design. People aren't stupid. They see what a scam most of it was. Of course, go to a doctor office, hospital oncology clinic and there, the protocols are still in force. Complete with border guards in some places but mostly, people seem to pretend to go along with most of it because-----> job.

All we can do is be kind to one another. Don't judge someone unless you walk in their shoes for a time. Some people are dealing with a lot under the surface and what you see is the best they can manage. Don't ask how I know any of that.

So sorry for your loss of Mike.  Don't know what class (year) of Seabee he was, but my Dad was an early one in WWII, and we have a very dear friend who served in Nam.  They deserve much respect.

Archived