сок апельсина 2 шт
черный молотый перец 1 ч.л
оливковое масло 7 ст.л
куркума 1 ч.л
соль
тоскана 1 чл
молотый чеснок 1 ч.л

маринуем 2 часа.
выкладываем на противень, выливаем весь маринад, обжариваем при 180 гр 40-50 минут. До корочки. достаем курочку, кладем в сок отварные макароны или рис. Очень вкусно !

Do you have any idea what "тоскана " is?  First receipt here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CzyPNMLt6Y1/?igshid=OTU1ODAwZWUxYg%3D%3D

Garlic Lemon Shrimp with Butter-Lemon Spaghetti.

Allow 6 Shrimp (16-20s) per person, and whatever the package says for a serving per person of pasta.
Zest of one or two Lemons, divided,  
Juice of two Lemons
Depending on number of servings, about a tsp each of Salt and Garlic Powder and a few grinds of Black Pepper.
Half the Lemon Zest.
1 TBS Olive Oil

Cooking Spray
Combine the above in a bowl, toss to coat.

Heat air fryer to 400 F, spray rack with cooking spray, cook Shrimp for 8 or 9 minutes, turning after about 5 minutes.
Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, as the water for the pasta is heating, heat a skillet over medium heat and add:

1/2 to 1 stick of Butter depending on number of servings.
Add 2 to 4 cloves of Garlic sliced thinly.

When Garlic is fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes, add the reserved Lemon Zest and about half the Lemon Juice, stir about some.  Season with Salt and Pepper.  Save about a cup of the Pasta water, and add 1/4 cup to the skillet with the Lemon-Butter Sauce.  Drain Pasta and add to skillet, toss to coat.  If needed, add more Lemon Juice.  If sauce is too thick, add more of the Pasta water.  

Add in shrimp, toss to combine.

image.png.af9d6eab68d78d0d2f65b94cd9007fb1.png

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Do you have any idea what "тоскана " is?  First receipt here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CzyPNMLt6Y1/?igshid=OTU1ODAwZWUxYg%3D%3D

My SWAG is a Tuscan spice blend, similar to Italian spices.

combine dried basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram and thyme, then add fennel seeds and garlic powder. Grind it up in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, and you’re done!

it happens that I have a similar blend on my counter now.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My SWAG is a Tuscan spice blend, similar to Italian spices.

combine dried basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram and thyme, then add fennel seeds and garlic powder. Grind it up in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, and you’re done!

it happens that I have a similar blend on my counter now.

THANKS!  I watched the video several times and couldn't make sense of it.

It's that time of year, so they say.  EGGNOG.

This first is from a Tictoker, unfortunately he doesn't mention the source:
Eggnog from 1895
Taken from an 1895 cookbook
via: B. Dylan Hollis
Ingredients
5 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
4 Cloves
1 Tbs Cinnamon
Instructions
Add 5 egg yolks (save the whites for later) to a mixing bowl
Mix in 1 cup sugar until smooth
Add milk and heavy cream to a cauldron (or sauce pan if you don't have a cauldron) stir in 4 whole cloves and cinnamon.
Scald the milk then use about half the milk mixture to temper the eggs.
Add the eggs back into the rest of the milk mixture and heat over low heat until thick.
Strain the mixture to remove the cloves and allow to cool slightly.
Whip 5 egg whites to stiff peaks with nutmeg and vanilla to taste
Stir the egg white mixture into the egg and milk mixture.
You can return to heat if you're not comfortable with uncooked egg whites.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
Top with more nutmeg and add rum if desired.
It does involve some cooking but is well worth it. If you search for him on Youtube you will find his short video.

This second one I don't recall where I got it, but it is also insanely delicious:
Eggnog
Ingredients
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites*=
Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.
So enjoy Eggnog any time you like.
Wonderful stuff.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CINNAMON COFFEE!

Let me start this one over.

I get side tracked easily and started discussing the medicinal value of Ceylon cinnamon over the grocery store variety and that's not why I started this.

I started this because I am aggravated, and my kitchen counter and floor are now very, very clean, and the kitchen smells really good, and I proved yet again that the older I get, the harder it is to rise from my Prayer Bones.

The subject is Cinnamon Coffee, because I love both.

Powdered cinnamon dusted on the surface of your big mug of steaming brew will not dissolve.

It will, however, deposit on my iron grey mustache, it will weld to the inside of your chosen drinking vessel.

(That was a major sidetrack on my first attempt at writing this.

My tangent discussed having drunk coffee from tin cans and tin cups, deep copper mugs and heavy ceramic mugs, fine china cups and voluminous gag-gift vessels, but that's beside the point. We're talking about cleaning up my mess.  I mean making cinnamon coffee!)

I decided to make cinnamon infused coffee, and right away made some mistaks -- mysteks -- mastaaks -- errors!

First attempt:

Add paper filter to basket.

Add cinnamon.

Add coffee.

Slide basket into coffeemaker.

Add water.

START.

The cinnamon formed a much less permeable layer and I had an overflow from the coffee basket.

Hot coffee and wet grounds all over the place.

Cleanup, aisle one.

Okay. Try it again.

This time -- paper filter in basket, coffee in paper filter, healthy layer of cinnamon on coffee, insert, decant water into reservoir, START.

The cinnamon formed a much less permeable layer and I had an overflow.

Again.

My temper shortened, I seized the end of the paper towels, gave an ill-tempered yank, spun the roll hard enough it wobbled with the dizzies afterward: another cleanup session, including wrapping layers of paper towel over the Swiffer to get under the fridge.

Precise recounting of language involved, omitted, as this is a family venue, and after condemning the coffeemaker as the ill-bred spawn of an illegitimate escapee from a glass factory (and other less charitable terms) I tried ONE LAST TIME.

This time, it worked.

Filter in basket.

Coffee in filter.

Cinnamon on coffee.

Shake basket.

Cinnamon is much finer than the ground coffee, and when shaken from side-to-side, insinuates itself through the depth of the grind: a few shakes and a brew, and it worked, and worked well.

Now I have cinnamon infused coffee.

Now my kitchen floor is very clean.

Now my kitchen counter is very clean.

Now my knees hate me.

But my kitchen smells very nice indeed!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Cinnamon is much finer than the ground coffee, and when shaken from side-to-side, insinuates itself through the depth of the grind: a few shakes and a brew, and it worked, and worked well.

We went through much the same process of experimentation, except we found that even mixing it in could cause clogged filters and overflow.

We settled on breaking cinnamon sticks into shards would infuse the coffee and not clog the filters.

• Thanks 1

I had forgotten about this on.  I had used a frozen pork shoulder that I had scored the skin, added salt and pepper, then vac packed and frozen.

Pork and Pickled Onions

Ingredients

4 medium sized sweet onions (such as Vidalia)

2 cups Cider Vinegar (can use white vinegar)

1 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon salt (I use kosher)

½ teaspoon black pepper

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions

1. Place all ingredients except onions into sauce pot over medium high heat. Bring just to a boil while stirring often.

2. While cider is coming to a boil, peel onions and slice into rings. Separate each ring.

3. When mixture comes to a boil remove from heat and add in onions. Stir and allow to sit for five minutes, or until onions have wilted down into vinegar some. Stir again and let sit for another five minutes.

4. Place in container, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled and ready to serve. Serve as a side relish or a topping on pinto beans, cornbread, etc.

4 1/2 pound picnic shoulder, skin scored and coated with salt and pepper-best if it can stand overnight..

Put it in a 6 qt. slow cooker and pour about 2 quarts of onions and the pickle over it and add two bay leaves and about a dozen whole allspice. Let stand at least two hours.  Turned on low for ab out 7 hours. (I checked the temperature and it was about 200 F. Was going to put it in the oven to crisp up the skin.

Nope, fell apart as I lifted it from the pot. Shreds almost by looking at it.)

Drained off and skimmed the juices. Then reduced them by half. Moisten the meat with the stock. Good stuff.

• Thanks 1

Roasted Pumpkin Stuffed with Whole Chicken

ingredients:

1 medium-sized pumpkin

1 whole chicken (approximately 3 pounds)

4 garlic cloves

4 teaspoons of salt

½ cup of olive oil

Fragrant herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and oregano

1 whole orange (for juice)

Orange slices for garnish

Green beans for stuffing (you can use any type of vegetables you prefer)

Instructions:

1. Start by cleaning the pumpkin thoroughly, removing the seeds and scraping out the fibers.

2. In a food processor, combine the fragrant herbs, salt, orange juice, and olive oil. Blend them together until well mixed.

3. Use this mixture to coat the inside of the pumpkin and also the inside of the chicken.

4. Layer orange slices and green beans at the bottom of the chicken.

5. Place the chicken inside the pumpkin and pour the remaining mixture over the top. Add orange slices on top and brush the outside of the pumpkin with a little oil.

6. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the pumpkin on the middle rack. It will take approximately 2 to 2.5 hours to cook. You can check the doneness by opening the oven occasionally.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyRI7qzuNAC/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng%3D%3D

• Thanks 1

BREAKFAST OMELETTE

There are many ways to do something right and this, frankly, was proof-of-concept only.

It did, however, provide me a good breakfast.

We're at the father in law's, everyone else is asleep, the laptop and I are at the kitchen table.

I took a disposable paper bowl (paper plates are rapidly becoming my favorite kitchenware), smeared butter on bottom & sides.

Crack in two eggs, add salt, pepper, a splash of milk, spin up with fork.

Microwave 1 min 30 sec

Erp.

Good stuff!

Add whatever goodies you like -- cheese, onions, diced peppers, chocolate chips, whatever suits your palate -- long ago I discussed such matters but this is fast and expedient while everyone else is snoozing, it's also proof of concept -- I wanted to make sure I could fix microwave eggs without them welding to the paper bowl.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

took a disposable paper bowl (paper plates are rapidly becoming my favorite kitchenware), smeared butter on bottom & sides.

Crack in two eggs, add salt, pepper, a splash of milk, spin up with fork.

Microwave 1 min 30 sec

Thanks!   I would never have thought of cooking in a paper bowl.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've never seen fish cut this way before:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz6jHzQIHRG/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Russian cooks with an English language sign.  There is a common perception that if it is not Russian it is better.

when I was introduced to the street food shawarma, I was told it is better if the cook is not Russian.

CA22D57F-13B4-4186-B23E-4F411A8172F2.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Russian cooks with an English language sign.  There is a common perception that if it is not Russian it is better.

I've noticed that before.  Russians, as a culture, have an odd relationship with Western Europe (and the rest of the world), a feeling that everyone else is more advanced, especially Germans, but also a bravado of "We are better than everyone else!" An interesting mix of xenophobia, paranoia, and self-superiority.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.  The receipts I looked at were saying meat grinder with the smallest plate, not a coffee mill.

I think I'll go with one that doesn't call for grinding:

250 gr. poppy

350 gr. Milk

120 gr. Sugar 

25 gr. Butter

50 gr. Milk

15 gr. Corn starch

Combine poppy seeds, milk (350 g) and sugar in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until the poppy seeds swell and the maximum amount of liquid has evaporated.  Add butter and milk/starch slurry. This may take 15-20 minutes.

I finally got around to making this.  I have a little hand grinder for coffee beans, pain in the butt to use for coffee.  But I was able to dial the cone in closer so the poppy seeds didn't fall through.  It will only hold about an ounce or so of poppy seeds at a time. Got through the first little bit then made my intelligence roll and removed the removable handle and used my cordless drill on it.  Took me about 2o minutes to grind the half pound, part of that time was allowing the mill to cool off because I went too fast and the seeds packed up the little grooves in the burr.  Anyway...
It took a total of about 25 minutes to get it cooked down from when I got out the pot to when I poured the last of it into a storage container.   Tastes pretty good.  Not as sweet as the commercial stuff.  

I'll make some crescent rolls (store bought dough) tomorrow morning with this spread on it before rolling them up.

• Like 1

Made a Chicken Pot Pie for dinner.  Made up a box of Stove Top for the top crust, sauté some onions, celery, and carrots in a couple of TBS of butter, then, for the gravy in the pie, 

Country Gravy Mix

INGREDIENTS

2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup dry milk powder

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper

1 tbsp salt

2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp ground poultry seasoning

DIRECTIONS

Whisk all ingredients together until well incorporated.

Store in an airtight jar for up to 6 months.

To use: Melt 2 tablespoons of fat (butter, shortening, sausage fat, bacon fat) in a sauce pan, add 3 tablespoons of gravy mix, cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes (making a roux), then pour in 1 cup water or milk. Whisk and cook until thickened.

just the amount for 1 cup, and for the liquid made one cup of powdered milk at almost doubled strength, then added a bunch of chopped chicken leftover from Thursday, put the Stovetop on it and baked it in a moderate oven for half an hour.

SWMBO didn't know how I made the gravy.  She said it was great, do it again.  Then I showed her the receipt, "This is a do again!" said she.

My only issue with it was a slight sweetness that I hadn't expected.  Next time I use that mix I'll add a little soup base to it.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Thanks 1

A Quick Salo.  Watch the video .

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0D81k7tzBY/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng%3D%3D

Ingredients:

Pork Belly or Fatty Shoulder (boneless country ribs)- 1200 g

Bay leaf - 3 pcs.

Garlic - 1 head

Salt - 1 TBS

Black ground pepper - 1 tsp

How to cook: 1. Garlic is cleaned and passed through the press. 2. Add salt, black ground pepper and broken bay leaf to minced garlic. Stirring things up just fine. 3. We cut the fat with pieces that will slip into the throat of the can. 4. Grease every piece of lettuce on all sides with a garlic marinade. Then put the fat tightly in the can. 5. Putting the can in a high pot. Ideal if the pot with the can can can be covered with a lid. Do not forget to put at the bottom of the pan a spoon or a piece of fabric so that the can does not crack. 6. Pour water into the pot so that the water level is higher than the fat in the can. Put the pan on the stove and cover the lid. 7. Cook fat on low heat for 3 hours. The water should boil but very weak. 8. We remove the finished fat from the can and remove the excess marinades. Store fat in the fridge in a hermetic container. The liquid in the can can can be leaked. It can be spread on sandwiches or added to other dishes. You can store the fat directly in the can along with the marinade at your wish.

• Like 1

Quick and easy.  I tend to add more spices and more raisins.  Maybe some chopped nuts, too.

Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix

1 cup quick cooking oats

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup raisins

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease baking sheets.

Combine cake mix, oats, eggs, and oil in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until blended. Stir in raisins.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 2

Amish Sugar Cookies

Servings 48 cookies

Ingredients

1 cup butter softened

1 cup vegetable or canola oil

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup powdered sugar

2 large eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cream of tartar

Instructions

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugars until combined.

Beat in eggs and vanilla.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.

Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating until just combined after each addition. Do not overmix.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.

Drop dough by small teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets.

Bake at 375 for 8-11 minutes, or until edges and bottoms are lightly browned.

Remove to wire racks to cool.

• Like 1

This one seems odd at first, but if you think of the avocado as a replacement for butter it makes sense.  Again, I'll add more cinnamon, and add cloves, freshly grated nutmeg, allspice, powdered ginger, maybe some mace.  And I'll change up the dried fruit, or use combinations of dried fruits.

Avocado Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients:

3 cup old-fashioned oats

1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. salt

1 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and mashed

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup olive oil

1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt

2 large eggs

2 cup dates, pitted, chopped (about 12 oz.)

Instructions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 4 baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Cream together oil, avocado and brown sugar in a large bowl, then stir in yogurt and eggs. Add oat mixture to avocado mixture and stir until combine, then stir in dates.

Using a 1/4 cup measure, transfer the mixture onto lined baking sheets, spacing the cookies 2- inches apart. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

• Thanks 1

Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup softened butter
    • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon saigon cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
    • 1 cup raisins
    • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1.   Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.

2.   In small bowl mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

3.   Cream butter and sugars in electric mixer.

4.   Add eggs and vanilla beating well.

5.   Add flour mix, mixing well.

6.   Add oats, raisins, and nuts, mixing well.

7.   Drop tablespoon size dough on lightly greased baking sheet.

8.   Bake 10-12 minutes.

9.   Cookies will be slightly browned around the edges. They will continue baking after removing from oven. Cool one minute in pan then transfer to cooling rack.

I’ll usually increase the cinnamon, and add in other warm spices – allspice, cloves, nutmeg, mace, ginger.  Add more and different chopped nuts and dried fruit.

Molasses Sugar Cookies

1 ½ cups shortening

2/3 cup molasses

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

½ to 1 tsp. ground cloves

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp kosher salt

1 TBS + 1 tsp baking soda

4 cups flour

Extra sugar for rolling

Melt shortening over low heat, let cool.  Add molasses, sugar, and eggs.  Beat well.  Mix in cloves, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Mix in the flour.  Chill for 60 to 90 min.  Roll dough into 1” balls. Roll in sugar.  Bake @ 350 for 8 – 10 min.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ginger-Lemon Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick)  unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup  brown sugar
1/2 cup  granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon  vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup  all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream the butter with the sugars in a medium bowl with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger, zest, vanilla and egg, and mix well.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, and then add to the butter mixture and mix. Add the oats and mix until combined. Fold in the pecans with a wooden spoon. Spoon the dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, and then remove from the baking sheets.