SASS Wire Forum

1872 open top help

Long Colt Luke

Howdy folks! Just got a 1872 open top in 45 colt. The gun is 5 years old and wasn't fired till i got it. After about 15 shots, i noticed that the cylinder spun freely instead of indexing and every once in a while the cylinder wouldn't rotate all the way. I've identified the problem as the cylinder hand, but i believe i should take it to a gunsmith instead of trying to do some "home gunsmithing". Does anyone know a gunsmith who works on open tops? Would prefer they were near northwest Georgia, but i can mail it to them if i need to.  Thanks for the help!

Goons Gun Works is in GA, he can make them run really good!  He is super busy so most likely a long turnaround time, but you never know.   Great fella to chat with and he specializes in the cap N Ball and open top firearms, more or less.  Give Mike a shout.

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

Have also ran some open tops tuned by Boomstick Arm out of TX, Jason is a great fella and he can make them slick for ya.  He even installed lowered hammers on a pards Open Tops too!

If the cylinder rotates when you point the gun down and cock it, but does not rotate when pointed up and cocked, the hand spring is broken.  If you can rotate the cylinder when the hammer is down or at full cock, then the bolt spring is broken.  Bolt spring is extremely easy to replace.  Hand spring can be a PITA to replace.  but you should be able to just mail the hand to a 'smith to get a new spring installed, saves a big gun shipping expense.

It's definitely the hand. I disassembled the pistol and the hand spring was broke. My problem is that the replacement hand(with spring) from cimarron doesn't work. 

Just now, Long Colt Luke said:

It's definitely the hand. I disassembled the pistol and the hand spring was broke. My problem is that the replacement hand(with spring) from cimarron doesn't work. 

Well, hands usually need fitting.  You can file on the replacement hand until it looks just like the original hand (assuming they sent you the right part).

Just now, Long Colt Luke said:

New hands often require some fitting. If you are not comfortable doing this then send it out to a cowboy gunsmith. While the smith has it have them verify the arbor is the correct length and that the bolt properly fits the notches in the cylinder. There is even a modification where the flat hand spring is replaced with a coil spring.

Archived