SASS Wire Forum

PW87

Palmetto Traveller

Ran across a CAI PW87 in like new condition. I know these are probably the least desireable of the '87s but at $550,00 I'm interested if it's worth it. I'd like some input from those more experienced with them. The seller said it was a Norinco but after bringing it to me I discovered it's not. I'm not looking to switch to an 87 but I'm taking gunsmith training and I'd rather learn on my own guns than one that belongs to someone else. 

IAC, and especially the IAC Coyote Cap specials ate the China made ones that ate decent 87s; PW 87s are junk in my experience.  I'm thinking you could find a PW87 cheaper than that to learn on but don't let it get to you if you can't make it run fast; only Lassiter and maybe one or two others have had any success fixing those.

Good Luck!

JB is correct, probably not worth more than $330-340.  If you do get a CAI- PW 87 and you want some practice on gunsmithing;  you can debur and polish a lot on the internals yourself. Then have Lassiter do the  mod work, and they can run fine. The best thing you can spend with any '87 is practice time,  practice time;  and Oh did I mention time practicing.

Archived