SASS Wire Forum

How far we have traveled

I'm not sure how many remember or knew how hard Colonel Dan worked to get Team SASS up and running.  There were a lot of obstacles he had to overcome; and with tenacity & determination he muscled through.  When he passed the baton to me I only hoped I could do him proud.  As we had traveled down this road fighting for our rights we have encountered victories and defeats, but every time we were dealt a blow we always got up, dusted ourselves off and pushed on.  We as well as other 2A organizations have continued fighting in the face of what appeared to be insurmountable odds.  The results thus far are 25 states with "Constitutional Carry" See below map

image.png  Do you realize that is 50% - 1/2 of the country?   Hooray for our side.

Better news is, that more states are looking to expand individual Second Amendment rights through the rest of the year, but our work is not through.  You see proponents of stricter gun rights laws have argued that different interpretations of the Second Amendment would enhance gun safety.  They say it leads to lower gun-related deaths.  However, when you look at the evidence, it has shown that there is not necessarily a direct correlation between more restrictive gun laws and fewer gun-related fatalities or accidents.   How about an example.  Let look at the city of Chicago, which has one of the strictest sets of gun laws in the country, yet they saw a massive rise in gun-related crime towards the end of 2021, and there are no signs that the city’s crime wave is slowing. Looking further at other large cities enforcing strict gun control legislation, such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles, They are also seeing historic increases in crime, particularly homicides.  So we are winning because of the facts even when at times it seems we are standing still or moving backwards.  If you need more proof or how far we have come, take a look at State Constitutions and the Right to Arms in the previously Pined Post.  Again, Colonel Dan's effort where he researched & posted each stat's 2A on their state constitution except as he noted:

"California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York" do not have "right to keep and bear arms" provisions in their state constitutions.

Two of those states have general provisions that protect a right to defend life and liberty:

· Iowa`s constitution (Art. I, § 1) states: "All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inalienable rights—among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness."

· New Jersey`s (Art. I, § 1) states: "All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety, and happiness."

And while has changed in these states due to their political environment there have been some changes and movement due to lawsuits and public sentiment.  I do have to admit that the Corona Virus helped here as our opposition saw it as a venue to restrict our rights even further and Americans being what we are said enough is enough and are now pushing back hard. 

In closing we need to be consistent in our efforts and rely on, as well as help each other to maintain our Second Amendment Rights.

Charlie T Waite

Edited by Charlie T Waite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, Charlie T Waite said:

Better news is, that more states are looking to expand individual Second Amendment rights

"Restore," not "expand."  Getting restrictions on our civil rights removed is restoring them, not expanding them.  If we follow the wording of the press and the left it makes it sound as if we are being given something extra, beyond the Constitution.

• Thanks 4
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for those most kind words but it's been the Team that has earned the kudos and you Charlie for the fine leadership and enthusiasm you've provided over these years.

We are indeed making great progress in restoring the unalienable rights with which our Creator endowed us.  Our struggle is not a a sprint or a one man marathon but rather a cross country team relay race.  One man or one group can't carry the torch in perpetuity.  That torch must be continually passed along to the next generation of patriots in perpetuity...and it will be where folks like Team SASS carry it.

Soldier on my friends....

Edited by Colonel Dan, SASS #24025
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 months later...
On 7/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, John Kloehr said:

Right_to_Carry,_timeline.gif

I got my CCW in 2004 when Ohio enacted it. Ohio has always had Open Carry. We now have Constitutional Carry as of this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3