SASS Wire Forum

WTC? Revolver hammers

Smokestack SASS#87384

I am pretty sure I know the answer, and I am interested to hear your opinions, but I’d really like a definitive answer here from the ROC please. 

is it legal to install Super Blackhawk (style) hammers with lowered and widened spurs on a revolver for plainsman and or frontiersman? 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Based on that, I feel it’s legal. Just wanted to make sure that there were no specific situations that would prohibit it on the cap guns. Thank you. 

It'd be humorous if it weren't so sad.  I wanted to modify the rather mundane stick looking hammer on my Marlin 1894 with a Bisley spur... "not legal".  What's the difference, on the RIFLE, the hammer is not routinely cocked by hand... no competitive advantage whatsoever, but lowering and widening the hammer on wheel guns is... both legal and an advantage.   IMO, in direct opposition of the stated goal of maintaining a "no equipment race" sport by the founders.  No offense to the ROC, I'm sure they've meant well in every individual case, but in sum total, they've made a mockery of "no modified guns."  

Maybe a handicap system should be developed for those shooting without the aid of shortened hammers, shortened throws, etc.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

It'd be humorous if it weren't so sad.  I wanted to modify the rather mundane stick looking hammer on my Marlin 1894 with a Bisley spur... "not legal".  What's the difference, on the RIFLE, the hammer is not routinely cocked by hand... no competitive advantage whatsoever, but lowering and widening the hammer on wheel guns is... both legal and an advantage.   IMO, in direct opposition of the stated goal of maintaining a "no equipment race" sport by the founders.  No offense to the ROC, I'm sure they've meant well in every individual case, but in sum total, they've made a mockery of "no modified guns."  

Don't blame the ROC.

The bulk of the current list of firearm modifications were compiled by an assigned "Modifications Committee".

The "Montado-style" hammers were voted on and approved by the Territorial Governors.

Maybe a handicap system should be developed for those shooting without the aid of shortened hammers, shortened throws, etc.
That would require pre-match inspections by knowledgeable personnel to verify whether every firearm in use by every competitor has been modified or not (and to what extent).

The OP's question has been answered.

If y'all want to start a thread related to firearm modifications (and other unrelated subjects) feel free to do so.

Archived