SASS Wire Forum

Obviously, The Road Less Travelled

... you mean this isn't one of those engineering fails we see on Farce Bork?

19 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

... you mean this isn't one of those engineering fails we see on Farce Bork?

Same engineers that designed the wastewater plant I just took over....

42 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Same engineers that designed the wastewater plant I just took over....

Oh dear God, not you too!
(shakes head)
(chuckles)
Wellington water plant, just south of us ... multiple 1 inch copper lines needed to get diagonally across the plant, so the engineers designed in a beautiful pattern of parallel lines running along the ceiling, but to achieve the direction needed, they had probably eight 90-degree turns to make a beautiful, symmetrical zigzag ... it looked really nice, it was beautifully done, it had so much friction loss the chemical feeders were starved for supply and output ... the chief operator had to have a Dutch uncle talk with the engineers ... I think he ended up re-plumbing it himself, eliminating all but two elbows and these were 45s ... 

Our wastewater plant suffered badly from Engineer-itis over the years as well, I could soapbox at length on our heat exchangers and the boiler heating system for two sad examples ... suffice it to say the city bought on low bid and got exactly what they paid for!
Eek!

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Oh dear God, not you too!
(shakes head)
(chuckles)
Wellington water plant, just south of us ... multiple 1 inch copper lines needed to get diagonally across the plant, so the engineers designed in a beautiful pattern of parallel lines running along the ceiling, but to achieve the direction needed, they had probably eight 90-degree turns to make a beautiful, symmetrical zigzag ... it looked really nice, it was beautifully done, it had so much friction loss the chemical feeders were starved for supply and output ... the chief operator had to have a Dutch uncle talk with the engineers ... I think he ended up re-plumbing it himself, eliminating all but two elbows and these were 45s ... 

Our wastewater plant suffered badly from Engineer-itis over the years as well, I could soapbox at length on our heat exchangers and the boiler heating system for two sad examples ... suffice it to say the city bought on low bid and got exactly what they paid for!
Eek!

The former superintendent here stopped short of done and said all was great! On time and budget! All the other stuff was fluff and they didn't need it! Lol. Time to pay the piper folks.

Archived