SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Western Action two handed with pistols?

Quiet Burp

10 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I've already proved you wrong. You continue to accuse others of what you do. You want to pick on someone else, but when I invite you to pick on me, you try to be high and mighty. You start out with one argument and when proved wrong, you modify or change it altogether. Basically, you're not worth debating. 

Moving Goalpost GIF - Moving Goalpost Argument - Discover & Share GIFs

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bisley Joe said:

Branchwater, I am referring to those who shoot in modern style, using technical gamesmanship, and tell others to "just have fun" , as well as those who think that unless someone is shooting at their level, that person has no say.

So there is no actual benefit to winning the top overall prize?

3 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

Not about the benefit. Yes there's a benefit, but when a period based game is being dominated by a modern shooting method, it's not ethical.

Two options to avoid technical gamesmanship:

1. Shoot as in the period of the game.
  2. Shoot in a category only.

How does not announcing the fastest shooter of the match at the end of it all avoid technical gamesmanship?

6 hours ago, Bisley Joe said:

So here's the crux of the issue, stated by Eyesa Horg himself:

"If you want the top overall prize start shooting 2 handed and practice like those who won do."

This is PRECISELY what I am getting at.

Fact:

• SASS/CAS is a shooting competition based on the Old West.
  • Clothing is based on the Old West.
  • Firearms are based on the Old West.
  • Our attitudes are supposed to be based on the Old West.
  • The Spirit of the Game is based on the Old West.
  • The Cowboy Way is based on the Old West.
  • The Shooting stages are based on the Old West.
  • We are supposedly vying to preserve the traditions of the Old West.
  • No one shot their pistol in the modern IPSC style we see some shooters doing in SASS.
  • Even the military and police trained in shooting one handed combat using modern double action revolvers and semiautomatic pistols well into the 20th century.
  • One of the stated intentions of SASS was "to avoid the technical gamesmanship that has ruined other shooting sports.
  • Overall winner is not a category, and the modern shooters dominate it, thus representing a shooting sport based on the Old West with modern tactics.

So why when it comes to the competition are the Old West and its traditions suddenly not important?

How can a shooting sport that touts the above requirements on the Old West allow those who wish to compete like that to be told "If you want the top overall prize start shooting 2 handed and practice like those who won do."?

How are we allowing those who are using technical gamesmanship to tell those who are not "just have fun" while they themselves ride the elite wagon?

Simple question, that will no doubt be perpetually flamed by those who don;t want it truly addressed.

There is that foolish unsupported statement again about "No One" shooting two handed in the Old West, there is NO evidence that "No One" shot two handed and your repeated claims to the contrary doesn't make it so.  Like I said, that one statement alone makes me dismiss every other comment you have made.

There is an established method for those that wish a change in the way the game is played to have their voice heard.   That method is to articulate your case to your local Territorial Governor.  Your TG may then discuss it on the TG Wire and/or bring it forward for further discussion at the TG Meetings at Land Run and EoT.  They'll take it up from there.

Archived