SASS Wire Forum

The New 2022 minted dimes

Dusty Devil Dale

While mindlessly picking primers, I realized I was looking at a plate full of dimes --quite a perspective.

Just two years ago they were 2 c. apiece or less.  5 years ago about 1/2 c. apiece

16418479061439115788602795041974.jpg

Half a cent?!? Where did you live?

When I started reloading, in about 1977 (45 years ago), a box of primers cost a dollar. That's a penny a piece. The last time I bought any primers, in 2006 (15 years ago), they were $99 for 5,000. That's two cents apiece.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Half a cent?!? Where did you live?

When I started reloading, in about 1977 (45 years ago), a box of primers cost a dollar. That's a penny a piece. The last time I bought any primers, in 2006 (15 years ago), they were $99 for 5,000. That's two cents apiece.

I stand corrected, if appropriate.  I was looking at price marks on my old stock of primers of mixed ages.  I probably misread a price mark, or mis-guessed age.  I have both small pistol and shotgun primers from as far back as the 60s and 70s.  (And yes, they still dependably fire - stored for all that time in my seasonally hot/cold garage.) Anybody remember these? Finding the old Remington shotshells that take the #57 primers is no easy thing these days, and as,I recall, we used them only with Fibre wad columns.  

16418708816096345523510828908327.jpg

unlike dimes, those will appreciate in value over time I think...

Some years back I was reading an article by a guy that was one of those 44 special lovers, back in the thirties and forties. It is during World War II, where brass and ammunition were completely unavailable, because everything was going to the war effort.

He was out with a friend, and they were at the dump, and he let his friend shoot his 44 special Smith & Wesson. After shooting the cylinder empty the friend opened it, dumped the brass into his hand, and before the owner could say a word, the friend flung the brass out into the dump.

Then he looked at the owner and said, "Did you want to keep those?"

The author said in the article that if he had known his friend wanted to fling something out into the dump, he would have given him a handful of shiny new dimes.

I know - this had nothing to do with primers. But it was the comment about "shiny new dimes" that made me think of it.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I stand corrected, if appropriate.  I was looking at price marks on my old stock of primers of mixed ages.  I probably misread a price mark, or mis-guessed age.  I have both small pistol and shotgun primers from as far back as the 60s and 70s.  (And yes, they still dependably fire - stored for all that time in my seasonally hot/cold garage.) Anybody remember these? Finding the old Remington shotshells that take the #57 primers is no easy thing these days, and as,I recall, we used them only with Fibre wad columns.  

16418708816096345523510828908327.jpg

I was wondering that too. I started reloading somewhere around 1977 when I was in high school. IIRC primers were like 89 cents/100

JHC

28 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I was wondering that too. I started reloading somewhere around 1977 when I was in high school. IIRC primers were like 89 cents/100

JHC

I remember those days.  I started in the mid 60s, using a home- made press, with early-vintage plastic hulls, paper wads, and lots fewer propellants to choose from. I was doing a lot of bird hunting and trap shooting back then and buying a lot of reloading supplies. In fact, I recall thinking about little else besides hunting and shooting during my high school years -- until I met a pretty, young, "outdoorsy" girl who diverted most of my attention (and whom I married 6 years later in 1972.   We are still married--50 yrs this September). 

Finding and affording components then was never an issue,  Hand loading was actually cheaper than buying loaded ammo back then.  Today, with the costs of components, haz-mat shipping, fancy blue machines and aftermarket attachments, I really doubt we save a dime.  

I started much later than yall

primers were always between $11 and $16 per thousand

i dont even wanna know what theyll cost me now a days

Archived