SASS Wire Forum

LEAD >

Colorado Coffinmaker

Just came across a reference for LEAD.  Tons of it.  Probably already cast into ingots.

Need to Google up Boat Scrap Yards.  Especially Sail Boat scrap yards.  Sail Boats have keels.  Keels have LARGE lumps of lead in them for ballast.  It is possible the lead will contain antimony.  Most certainly lead to be had and in large quantities.

Check it Out!!

Most scrap sail boat lead will still be in large chunks, in my experience.  Like 1000 pounds and more.  It's a big job to saw it up and then melt it down, so it's not normally in ingots.  If you can find it already in ingots, great.  Have it x-ray analyzed to know what you are getting.   (Ballast scrap has been around for years, not like it's a new source of lead.)

good luck, GJ

Well golly Joe,

In all the commentary I have read on the wire, I haven't heard much of anything about Ballast scrap.  Just reviewed a show visiting a Sail Boat scrapping outfit in Oregon.  The footage of their shed showed lead ingots stacked like Fort Knox.  Some folks have even enquired about scrapping car batteries (lead-acid) which can kill ya.  

Lots and lots of folks don't necessarily know about sail boats and ballast scrap.  Specially if they live in Kansas??  Maybe??

With Mead and Powell at the lowest point in decades you can possibly find all you want if you have the means to remove it.

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well golly Joe,

In all the commentary I have read on the wire, I haven't heard much of anything about Ballast scrap.  Just reviewed a show visiting a Sail Boat scrapping outfit in Oregon.  The footage of their shed showed lead ingots stacked like Fort Knox.  Some folks have even enquired about scrapping car batteries (lead-acid) which can kill ya.  

Lots and lots of folks don't necessarily know about sail boats and ballast scrap.  Specially if they live in Kansas??  Maybe??

Scrapping car batteries for the lead in them is indeed a really bad idea!  Not only dangerous because of the acid in them, but from what I understand the lead also has calcium in it, which makes it brittle and impossible to cast.  Therefore, it's virtually useless for our purposes anyway.  Please leave the recycling of lead/acid batteries to the professionals, as there are many other sources of quality bullet lead.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

Outlaw Bullets set up shop in a boat yard in Florida almost 5 years ago.

It's been quite a ride.

1000 pound keel is tiny.

We work with keels that are 4000 lbs average.

I chop them into 1000 lb chunks and my partner chops them into 60 lb chunks with his 36" cold steel saw.

Then I melt those down into 5 lb ingots which go into the magic bullet machine.

Archived