SASS Wire Forum

60,000 German POWs Paraded Through Moscow

Subdeacon Joe

in violation of the Geneva Conventions, USA held most German POWs until 1947, did not want lots of unemployed men lose on the fragile economy . USSR had never signed those conventions and held POWs in the gulags until 1955 after Stalin’s death.

My grandmother was kept in a Polish forced labor camp until my mother was able to get her freed, sometime around 1967.  My mother then flew to Europe and took Oma home to the rest of the family in East Germany.  The part of the family in West Germany was not able to see her at that time.  Oma lived to see the fall of the wall and have the family re-united again.

Stopped for gas in the Black Forest in the late 70's.  The older gentleman that was cleaning our windshield saw the Oklahoma registration sticker and launched into a long talk about his days as a POW in Muskogee.  Said it was the best four years of his life and really didn't want to leave..

We had more than a few X-POWs, who had been held in Canada, return and become citizens, friends and neighbours.

Funny how that worked out; one, a former Panzer officer and his wife, became close friends of my family, while their son became an officer in the Canadian Army.

Archived