SASS Wire Forum

Poppy Seed

Subdeacon Joe

This morning I was reading through methods of preparing poppy seed for filling rolls, baklava, hamantashan (?), and other such treats.

One method said to grind the seeds, cover with water, bring to simmer but don't boil, take off the heat, let it cool, do that two more times, when cool mix in sweetened condensed milk.

Another says boil in milk and honey, then run it through a grinder with a fine plate.

Another is to soak the seeds in water overnight, then simmer in milk, sugar, and honey, then grind.

Another is to simmer in milk, honey, some chopped dates, chopped nuts, and a dash cinnamon.  No grinding.

How do you do it?

Howdy:

I sprinkle them into the cake mix or on top of my bread.  I buy the pate for kolachies. :-)  I love poppy seeds on buns abd roles.

STL suomi

27 minutes ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Howdy:

I sprinkle them into the cake mix or on top of my bread.  I buy the pate for kolachies. :-)  I love poppy seeds on buns abd roles.

STL suomi

That's usually what I do.  But a few months ago Imperfect Produce had a deal on half pound bags of poppy seed, I think it was two bucks.  Half pound is about 2 cups of seeds.  Even With milk and honey it's a lot cheaper than the 5 bucks a can for the Solo brand filling.

I don’t do it at all. Just not crazy about em.

And if your employer does drug tests, you shouldn’t either. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don’t do it at all. Just not crazy about em.

And if your employer does drug tests, you shouldn’t either. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a lawsuit for discrimination against Eastern Europeans and people of Eastern European heritage.  Not respecting our cultural heritage and all that.  

Archived