SASS Wire Forum

Nickeled guns

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I was looking over my collection today, and I noticed that while I have several nickeled revolvers, I don't have a single rifle with a nickel finish.  I have *seen* such rifles in the stores on occasion, but I just "realized" that I've never bought one.  Nor do I have a shotgun so finished.  Those I have seen at the range on occasion, but never in the stores.

For some reason, I found myself wondering about all of that.  I've always thought that nickel guns look really cool in general, and a 73 or a Lightning has a look that is just super fine.

So...   Does anyone out there have an "all nickel" battery?  Did they come from the factory, or did you have 'em done?   One of the best "all nickel" pards I ever saw was a fellow dressed up as The Lone Ranger.  His rifle was a 92, and it looked really nifty.  Told me he had it done after market.  Shotgun was SxS if I recall correctly.

Sadly, the only nickel Lightning I ever saw was a Taurus.   Oh well.  :)

Stoeger makes their Coach Gun Supreme in blue and in brushed nickel.  I thought my Thunderbolt was brushed nickel, but Lassiter said it was actually stainless.

I shoot with some guys that have all shiny guns, but I think the shotguns at least were hard chromed. 

Knew a shooter named Frontier Frank (R.I.P.) who took flitz to all his blue/cc guns and made them all look like nickled.

Shinny long guns may look cool; however, they a a PITA to shoot in bright sunlight.  Extremely difficult to pick up the front & rear sights.  The 1st SASS gun I bought was a SS large frame Vaquero in 38/357.  When I took up the game I bought a pair of Montatdo's in 45 Colt; because, the misses want to try CMS and I didn't have the funds to buy a matching 38/357 Vaquero in addition to an Uberti Lightning rifle or Stoeger coach gun.  I found out you can't see the rear notch or the front sight on a shinny SS Vaquero.  I paint the notch & front sight blade black.

P.S. After I retired I have had more disposable funds;so, I have acquired more CAS guns.  I couldn't find a SS 38/357 Vaquero; so, I acquired a blued Lipsey's special (engraved).  For a 38/357 rifle I acquired an Uberti 1873 half octagonal carbine

Archived