SASS Wire Forum

Anybody have a 31 cal bp derringer?

A new toy was delivered today.  Just a fun little thing that was on sale. One of those guns I’ve always wanted for no particular reason. Anyway, it looks like fun. One question to anybody who has one, what kind of nipple wrench fits it? I have two, one from Slix, and an older one I’ve had forever. Neither of them will engage the flats on the nipple to be able to unscrew it. Before I get a tube and start making my own, I was wondering if some brand will fit it. 
And I may have to see if I can buff out the logo on the side!

1DE5AACB-FD05-4754-81F9-5E11752D56D1.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

A photo of the nipple

The big problem is the recess the nipple sits in is about .281 deep, according to my handy dandy caliper. Hard to tell exactly how the wrenches I have are missing. The wrenches bottom out, but spin freely. Either the recess is tapered enough to prevent the wrench from seating, or the tabs on my wrenches are too thick. 

A9372B7E-AFB6-4A07-86E5-76D66AF1F7EC.jpeg

Hard to tell without measuring but it looks like you need a nipple wrench with a reduced diameter end.  Sort of like this one from Cabelas.  You can also look at some websites and find one that says it will fit a Colt 1849 and clones.  From the photo the diameter of the wrench has to be the same as the OD of the nipple as there is virtually no clearance at the top.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/pietta-black-powder-revolver-nipple-wrench-with-6-nipples

What do the makers of the gun have to say about it?

Traditions Firearms

1375 Boston Post Rd

Old Saybrook, CT

1-860-388-4656

Archived