SASS Wire Forum

DQ Forward?

Jack Houston # 35508

There has been a lot of grief over this decision by the WB. My understanding as it currently stands is: The Warmup match is separate from the EOT match and a DQ there does NOT carry forward. The side matches are a part of the main match and a DQ there DOES carry forward. That is why I won't shoot any side matches at EOT. That is was the way it was last year, and I don't know of any changes.

Last year during the shooters meeting for the warm up we were told that the DQ forward did apply to the warm up match. It had been posted on the wire prior to EOT that it did not apply, but it turned out it did. There were some who had entered that decided not to shoot. I shot the warm up match and 8 side matches.

Scout :):wacko:

That doesn't seem shooter friendly! An accident can happen and then you're out lots of cash and time! :wacko: You would think SASS would want people to come shoot the warm up match without having to worry about that!! That's why I didn't shoot any side matches last year!

• 2 weeks later...

A match DQ is a match DQ, EOT is a match which includes many stages, just as in any match if you match DQ on the first stage or last stage it is a match DQ. A stage DQ is just that a stage DQ.

A match DQ is a match DQ, EOT is a match which includes many stages, just as in any match if you match DQ on the first stage or last stage it is a match DQ. A stage DQ is just that a stage DQ.

395529[/snapback]

The warm up match is a seperate match!!!!

That's why there's a seperate fee!!!!

Guest Hell-Bent Wade 18285
That doesn't seem shooter friendly! An accident can happen and then you're out lots of cash and time!

385117[/snapback]

Would YOU rather be the guy catching the bullet? I sure wouldn't. How would it feel if you paid all those big dollar entry fees and some guy who made a mistake, made another one and you got injured or someone you loved got killed?

No one wants to be shot, thanks for stating the obvious. If you are shot, givin' the fella who did it a DQ for the match ain't gonna help you much, nor will it prevent the accident in the first place.

The point is that the warm up was advertised as a seperate match last year and a bunch of folks shot it, then it was said that it was a DQ forward event.

What needs to happen is a definitive statement from SASS regarding their policy for the warm ups. This confusion can be laid to rest and we can decide if it's worth the risk or not.

Hill

Having the Warm-up match carry a DQ forward tag for the Main Match is a lot of exposure for little benefit.

It's one thing to have a simple string of pistol or rifle (ie: Speed events) carry the DQ forward. 10 shots and be reeeeeal careful - no big deal. It's also quite easy to pass those events up since they do nothing to add to "warming-up" for the BIG event. But the warm-up match allows for folks to get used to the environment...especially since the FR is at a higher altitude then most folks are used to.

Come on folks, get rid of the DQ forward on the Warm-up match.

Phantom

:D

No one wants to be shot, thanks for stating the obvious. If you are shot, givin' the fella who did it a DQ ...

397163[/snapback]

Maybe not so obvious. I said, "...some guy who made a mistake, made another one..."

The DQ is supposed to make you go think about what you did wrong so you can better prepare to not do it again. That is a way to protect from lawsuits. If you don't send the guy away with a lesson to learn and they injure someone the second time they make a mistake there WILL be a lawsuit.

Back when I shot CAS (before I focused on Mounted shooting full time) I saw people be given Penalties and stage DQs without them even knowing about it! That does NOTHING for the learning process. (BTW We have penalties and DQs in mounted shooting.)

Frankly, the article doesn't say much more then the shooter needs a "time-out".

No Solutions...or ideas. Just that this is the rule and it makes sense.

Again, I'm just saying that having a 6 or 8 stage warm-up match carry a DQ forward towards the Main Match is a big exposure. Lots of shots down range - lot's of transitions...for what?

Yes, everyone should be careful - ALWAYS. But, accidents can and do happen to even the most cautious shooters. I feel the DQ forward is fine with the short/quick side matches such as speed rifle/pistol. My only beef is with the DQ forward applying to the Warm-up match.

Phantom

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Frankly, the article doesn't say much more then the shooter needs a "time-out".

No Solutions...or ideas. Just that this is the rule and it makes sense.

Again, I'm just saying that having a 6 or 8 stage warm-up match carry a DQ forward towards the Main Match is a big exposure. Lots of shots down range - lot's of transitions...for what?

Yes, everyone should be careful - ALWAYS. But, accidents can and do happen to even the most cautious shooters. I feel the DQ forward is fine with the short/quick side matches such as speed rifle/pistol. My only beef is with the DQ forward applying to the Warm-up match.

Phantom

:rolleyes:

398230[/snapback]

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! :wub:

How would it feel if you paid all those big dollar entry fees and some guy who made a mistake, made another one and you got injured or someone you loved got killed?

397045[/snapback]

MY POINT EXACTLY!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if we're going to DQ Forward someone for earning a DQ in the warm-up match, a completely separate match from EOT, then why don't we DQ from Winter Range to EOT? How about the regionals and state championships? Last year's EOT? It makes as much sense. :D

I would like an official written answer ;)

453190[/snapback]

I would like the $400 million the retiring Exxon chairman got, and all of the members of the Swedish Bikini Pistol Team on my posse. :D

Just suppose, you're at EOT and you are wanting to be a better shooter and you take one of the shooting classes. And just suppose you accidently shoot over the berm while trying to improve your abilities. I reckon, because you are at the match, and you are shooting, that you should receive a MDQ.

And, if you receive a MDQ, who qualifies you to shoot in another match at any other time without also bearing the responsibilities for your actions.

BTW, knock on wood, I have not experienced a MDQ, but since I'm making the EOT trip a family vacation, I will cancel the warm-up match reservation. It just doesn't make good sense to risk an accident that could ruin a vacation.

Just a heads up, there is a match at another facility West of town hosted by the Rio Grande Renegades that you can use to get ready for EOT. It isn't really a match per say it is several stages setup for you to shoot anyway you want to and as many times as you wish. Check out the Rio Grande Renegades Warm-up in the SASS Events forum.

I try to support Founder's Ranch as much as possible, but won't shoot any side matches or warmup matches there because of the DQ forward rule. It is also the ONLY place I will shoot that has the stupid rule. SASS says vote with your feet if you don't like something at a match. I wonder what would happen if NO-ONE signed up for the warmup or side shoots at Founder's Ranch? Would they get the message? I'm not sure what lawyer brought about the rule, but the Cowboy way is to string him up. Sure keeps a lot of us from having fun and increasing the CASH FLOW at Founder's. I'm a F.R. Gold member, but I didn't go to the Invitational and I'm not going to Smoke in The Valley either. I would like to see F.R. grow and do well, but it is principle on this one. I'm voting with my feet. :blink:

First of all, I don't really care for the DQ forward rule either. But read on....

I view the EOT warm up match AND the main match as one event or to say it another way, EOT is an eighteen (18) stage match (6 warmup and 12 main match) . Can I or anyone else hold it together for a measley <sp> eighteen stages? I believe so, I've been doing it for over four years w/o a MDQ.

Remember, a MDQ can happen at any time. First stage through the last.

If a person is so sure (or expect a high probability of getting one) they will get a MDQ from the warmups, then perhaps they should rethink about going.

I shot the warm up match at EOT05 and found it fun and educational. I met a whole possee of new shooters from all over that I would never have had the chance to meet and share such a wonderful event . I shall shoot the warmup match this year as well and look forward to meeting still more new cowboys and cowgirls during the warmups. That is part of the fun and experience of attending a big match. Additionally, the warmups will make me a better shooter for the main match. I will have seen and experienceed six stages (and there props) out of the 12 and that will be benificial when the main match starts.

With something like 1350 shooters at EOT, I don't really expect to place in my catagory... 49'er. There are alot of excellent shooters in the 49'er catagory. I just want to shoot my personal best and let the chips fall where they may. I was fortunate enough to shoot my best at WR06. I didn't place, however I found comfort in knowing I did my very best. There just so happen to be that many more good shooters ahead of me. I was happy for them.

I would rather shoot my very best against the very best and not win an award, than shoot meadeocre with misses and procedureal and win an award in some watered down catagory. That is my opinon and no one else needs to follow it.

Pards, ya may want to reconsider your position on this issue. You are loosing out on a lot of fun and the chance to meet a whole flock of new pards that you will meet on down the trail some day.

Your pard,

Blastmaster

Just got the news about the DQ Forward rule for eot this weekend. I was attending a shoot this weekend and a few guys were talking about it. I was shocked! This is my first eot and probably my last. My better half gave me a trip to eot for my birthday. He is a shooter also. He is not shooting because we can't afford for both of us to shoot. He is taking a weeks vacation just for me, so I can shoot EOT. I have never dropped a gun and don't plan to, but does anyone plan to drop a gun? It just happens. What a disapointment if I was to accidently drop a gun during the warmup (that I paid extra money to shoot) and not be allowed to shoot EOT that I paid for. The hard earned money, the vacation he missed and the time off he worked for all year long just waisted. He does not have a job in an airconditioned enviroment. No, he is under a welding hood 10+ hours a day. When it's 100 degrees outside it's about 140 degrees under that hood. Some may not think that matters, but to me it does. This is a chance in a lifetime for me to shoot EOT. I am excited to be able go. I understand safety issues and try to take that extra second to make sure I'm safe. Like I said accidents happen. Thats why they are called accidents. If they are going to enforce the DQ forward rule then they should not charge extra money to shoot it. It is a sperate match. Yes it is at the same event, but it is a seperate match. :blink:

Just got the news about the DQ Forward rule for eot this weekend.  I was attending a shoot this weekend and a few guys were talking about it.  I was shocked!  This is my first eot and probably my last.  My better half gave me a trip to eot for my birthday.  He is a shooter also.  He is not shooting because we can't afford for both of us to shoot.  He is taking a weeks vacation just for me,  so I can shoot EOT.  I have never dropped a gun and don't plan to,  but does anyone plan to drop a gun?  It just happens.  What a disapointment if I was to accidently drop a gun during the warmup (that I paid extra money to shoot) and not be allowed to shoot EOT that I paid for.  The hard earned money,  the vacation he missed and the time off he worked for all year long just waisted.  He does not have a job in an airconditioned enviroment.  No, he is under a welding hood 10+ hours a day.  When it's 100 degrees outside it's about 140 degrees under that hood.  Some may not think that matters,  but to me it does.  This is a chance in a lifetime for me to shoot EOT.  I am excited to be able go.  I understand safety issues and try to take that extra second to make sure I'm safe.  Like I said accidents happen.  Thats why they are called accidents.  If they are going to enforce the DQ forward rule then they should not charge extra money to shoot it.  It is a sperate match.  Yes it is at the same event,  but it is a seperate match. :blink:

464606[/snapback]

Well then, quite whining and ask for a refund on the warmup match. Problem solved. Take the money and go out the the club west of town and warmup there. Or shoot EOT cold. A lot of people are choosing to do just that.

So, how do you think you would feel if you DQ'ed on the first through twelveth stage? You would be asked to put your guns up and have a nice rest of the match as a spectator.

Responses like Blast master’s is why many of us stay away from the wire. There is so much crap on here it takes the fun out of the wire

I enjoy and respect many of the responses like Capt. Baylor’s. But some of you are (just out to lunch).

Montana Dan

Well then, quite whining and  ask for a refund on the warmup match.  Problem solved.  Take the money and go out the the club west of town and warmup there. Or shoot EOT cold.  A lot of people are choosing to do just that.

So, how do you think you would feel if you DQ'ed on the first through twelveth stage?  You would be asked to put your guns up and have a nice rest of the match as a spectator.

464647[/snapback]

Quit Whining? I'm not whining. This is America and I'm entitled to my own opinion just like you. If you don't agree with me thats up to you. I will shoot the warmup match because I choose to. Does that mean I agree on the DQ forward, NO! Would I have signed up for it if I had known about the DQ Forward, NO! Was that info given to me when I signed up, NO!

If DQ'ed during the main match, I would volunteer to help sass out anywhere they needed because I was given the opportunity to shoot. That'a what my $250.00 was for (I thought). :blink:

Archived