SASS Wire Forum

Now they are attacking computer jargon.

I got that with Modbus.  Modbus has a master and a slave and it's not used much anymore.  I only run into it on legacy systems for the most part these days.  So that means it was never slapped by the PC police.  I was showing a young engineer around modbus and he got visibly uncomfortable with the terms.  He wanted to give them different names.  "So it's like Server/Client?"  "No, it's not server/client, there is an option in Modbus that is server/client and it's different."

On 4/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, Alpo said:

I was on a board where someone had written im***sible. I looked at that for the longest time before I realized that the nanny-ware had edited out POS.

On a gaming website I used to read, the filters were so tight that we couldn't even talk about onegrouping a raid zone (a raid is multiple groups so being able to onegroup it is a big deal) because of the naughty word right in the middle.  Took me a long time to figure out what o*****up meant.  In the politics section of that website we couldn't even talk about Chris Coons back when he was doing something worth talking about. 

..... a long time ago, when I first started here, I referred to our organisation called CASS; a number of folks said that their computators would not look up the site because netnanny did not like the A followed by 2Ss .......    :blink:

On 4/13/2021 at 10:05 AM, Warden Callaway said:

How about ever thing you plug in has male prongs going into a female receptacle?  Or male and female ends of pipe?

I remember asking my mom about why this was so when I was a kid. Her answer was, “Because men think they’re so funny”. 

Seamus

On 4/13/2021 at 10:05 AM, Warden Callaway said:

How about ever thing you plug in has male prongs going into a female receptacle?  Or male and female ends of pipe?

That is why they are called receptacles & plugs.  Until the receptacle is on the power consuming device, then they are called inlets.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:39 PM, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Next that they will find offensive will be the number 69

In Northern Indiana they did years ago. A group lobbied to have interstate 69 re-named to something else because the name I69 offended them. Thank goodness the idea went nowhere. 

Archived