SASS Wire Forum

CC Holster for Cowboy Guns

El CupAJoe

Hey All, 

I need knowledgeable recommendations for a CC holster for a 5.5" 1860 or 1861 Colt.  I'm sending off my normal carry gun for work and can reasonably expect to need something to hold me over up to 8 weeks, (unlike my local car dealership, the gun manufacturer doesn't offer loaners for some reason).  I mostly carry for animal protection as I live rurally, usually have a long gun handy and rarely travel to largely populated areas.  My wife is not interested in me acquiring a new gun at the moment, and she is an excellent wife, cook and mother; I wish to keep her.  She is satisfied with my life insurance policy and I am satisfied with my eternal arrangements.  All that being said, a gun is better than none, so I'll be looking to carry the 61 or 60 temporarily while my gun is in the shop.  I would normally just slap a clip draw universal revolver model on the side, but I'm concerned about the cap being exposed and possibly causing discomfort, embarrassment, and temporal termination should it be struck.  

If you have CC'd a cap gun, what was your experience, do you have a holster recommendation?  I have a shoulder holster, but it needs refurbishment, and it won't work in most situations where I won't have a cover garment available.  I'm thinking about a heavy duty belly band with some kind of shield worked up to cover the cap, but I'm concerned about snagging on the loading lever.  Any recommendations that run over 45-$50 will probably delay my ability to send out my carry gun for repair.  Please advise.

If you already have any holster for the gun now, my recommendation would be to jury rig a couple of straps to hold it in place and use it until you get your usual piece back.

Of course I'm too cheap to get a holster made for it and this would cost next to nothing and doesn't do any damage to the current holster.

I don't usually carry revolvers with holsters, I usually use the clip draw or on my current gun Barami Hip grips because the cylinder was large enough that the clip draw didn't work well.  I have an OWB holster, but again, it requires a cover garment and it's getting unseasonably warm already.  thinking about it, I may be able to attach some belt clips to make it IWB and tuckable... I'll have to look at it when I get home.

1 minute ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Sounds like a  good excuse to buy another CC gun to me.

2 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I wish to keep her

Mernicle makes iwb holsters for cowboy guns, but probably a wait time. Got a buddy or a family member who could loan you one?

image.png.cd50b15f5c1b253eb6f399b25b63d1cf.png

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

If you already have any holster for the gun now, my recommendation would be to jury rig a couple of straps to hold it in place and use it until you get your usual piece back.

15 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

but I especially wouldn't carry one unless it was in a flap holster that positively prevented any chance of something hitting a cap and setting it off.

Thank you both for your help!  I found I have an old Uncle Mike Sidekick size 5 OWB nylon pancake holster I had that looks like it'll work IWB.  the gun sits down deep in the pocket and the thick sides come up well over the rear of the gun protecting the caps.  It is a little bulky but I think it'll cover up okay with a loose T-Shirt.  I took off the removable/adjustable thumb retention strap to help with some of the bulk.  placed it at 4:00 and wore it IWB around the house last night and I don't think it's going anywhere, also tried it appendix, but it's a little bulkier than I like in that area.  I may pick up a set of tuckable belt clips to add on for $10 if I find it's moving around on me. 

Thank you all again for your help!

15 hours ago, Raylan said:

Got a buddy or a family member who could loan you one?

15 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I personally wouldn't carry a cap gun

I put myself in my current circumstances in  a very low probability of use category.  I carry on principle because of the sin nature of man and for animal protection and as an exercise of my freedom, down with Tyrants!  I also don't expect to have to use it in my current circumstances but want to be prepared if I do.  If I truly felt like I was in a high probability of use scenario, I'd push harder to get a backup or borrow something from someone.

Archived