SASS Wire Forum

cooking question

Alpo

I made a small roast last night, and the cooking instructions said to do 30 to 35 minutes per pound, and as it was one pound seven I did 45 minutes and it came out great.

But just a bit ago I was thinking that if I had had three or four people over for dinner that pound and a half roast would not have been big enough, so I would have needed two of them. So would you cook it as for 3 pounds, since the total weight together would be three pounds, or would you cook it for a pound and a half, since each piece of meat weighs a pound and a half?

Keep them separated and cook for a pound and a half. 

But, you say a pound and a half isn't enough for four people.   A pound and a half is 24 ounces,  6 oz. per person.  A starter salad, a good sized helping of rice, noodles,  or potatoes,  a large serving of a hot vegetable, bread of some sort, and a beverage.   Not lavish,  but you won't leave hungry,  either. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’d cook for 45 minutes, test their temps, and swap their positions in the oven. As for whether they need a lot more time that really depends on the oven.  Be smart about it and test with a thermometer.

Ditto.

I have an InstaPot - 30 minutes for the meat.

Release the steam and add carrots, potatoes and onions (sliced/diced/chopped) along with a package or two of the gravy mix and put it back on for another 20 minutes.

Let the InstaPot slowly release the steam by itself.  Full pot roast in an hour and a half.

Archived