SASS Wire Forum

Ancient Fast Food

Gee, why can’t the reporter just say “cafeteria style street dining” instead of this:

Traces of nearly 2,000-year-old food were found in some of the deep terra cotta jars containing hot food which the shop keeper lowered into a counter with circular holes.

I wonder, do reporters get paid by the word hence some really silly reporting?

For some reason the picture of the counter didn’t pop up right away on my phone so I was imagining some apparatus lowering huge crock jars from a second floor into holes into a huge counter of some type. 

Regardless, Thank you for posting this, Joe. I have always been fascinated by Pompeii. When I was in the Navy and we went to Italy I didn’t get to go to Pompeii as I had always wanted due to shipboard responsibilities, a lack of funds and Pompeii was closed to the public on one visit to Naples. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Gee, why can’t the reporter just say “cafeteria style street dining” instead of this:

Traces of nearly 2,000-year-old food were found in some of the deep terra cotta jars containing hot food which the shop keeper lowered into a counter with circular holes.

I wonder, do reporters get paid by the word hence some really silly reporting?

I think the report that the setup used terra cotta jars in counters with holes conveys a lot more interesting information than 'cafateria-style street dining' does....

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I think the report that the setup used terra cotta jars in counters with holes conveys a lot more interesting information than 'cafateria-style street dining' does....

I think the reporter left some things out. 

I visited Pompeii once back in 2007. A fairly quick MWR tour so you didn't get to spend a lot of time there.

Either the site has been closed or travel restricted for most of this year.

I did manage to ride up Mount Vesuvius but I've not visited Pompeii or Herculaneum.

Hope to visit both before I transfer back.

• Like 1