SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS Question about Linear Muzzle Brakes

Pat Riot

I am curious. Have any of you tried one of these "Linear Muzzle Brakes"?

I am baffled as to how it could  be a  muzzle brake because it vents gases  forward. I can see how it would mitigate perceived noise  to the shooter  but does it actually "brake"? Does it lessen muzzle rise?

Alternate Image 1

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021158557?pid=908642

From PewPew Tactical

What’s a Linear Comp?

A linear compensator is a muzzle device that is designed to direct gas and concussion forward of the shooter. This also directs the noise from the gun forward of the shooter.

Conclusion

Linear Comps are awesome devices. They mitigate blast and flash, and they aren’t considered flash suppressors under AWB laws.

For short barreled rifles and rifle cartridge pistols a linear comp is a great option, but even for normal length rifles, they can still provide a lot of benefits especially when you’re dealing with larger calibers.

Any gas not vented to the side is vented forward... So any gas vented to the side reduces recoil compared to only blowing forward of the muzzle.

Which might lead someone to think "what if I vented the gas backwards?"

Well, someone did think to ask that exact question. Take a look at the HU-DU:

https://www.sptshooting.com/hu-du

It does work (personal experience). It really works well (personal experience). For anyone behind and to the side of the shooter, it is VERY loud (personal experience).

From the maker:

The HU-DU Muzzle Brake reduces recoil from 80 to 95 percent while completely eliminating muzzle rise.

Note the weak support-hand grip on the gun when she is shooting:

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

From PewPew Tactical

Thank you SD. :)

4 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

It does work (personal experience). It really works well (personal experience). For anyone behind and to the side of the shooter, it is VERY loud (personal experience).

Thank you. Until I leave this shi...state, Ahem, I can’t use what I want to use on my AR-15, which is a YKM Phantom flash hider. They also act as a brake and do a very nice job of both. Currently I am just looking for a muzzle device that won’t annoy me or the people at the range to the right and left of me. 

I have mounted linears on all my ARs since trying the first one. I could not tell any difference in recoil in  the AR, but shoot, it's a .223 for Pete's sake. Now the noise redirection does seem to work to others at the range, the side blast is reduced noticeably according to others.

To take this on a tangent a couple of the people I shoot with also shoot Rimfire Challenge. They put conventional muzzle brakes on their .22 rifles to increase the noise level to the sides so that the timer will more easily pick up the shots.

Archived